DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway Avoided? - Air2S

Carlos56

Reactions
Yesterday I prepared for a flight over some fields, and powered on the drone in the backyard, as I have many times before. The only difference this time was it was about 3 feet from a metal lawn tractor. It went tihrough the warm up cycles, a brief message "No GPS" flashed, it acquired enough satellites, updated the home point, and said "Ready for takeoff". I started the motors.

Only problem was, I noticed the rear LEDs flashing red. Everything else seemed normal. I decided to launch just about 3 feet as I thought perhaps the downward sensor was blocked from the tree stump it was sitting on. But the LEDs continued flashing red. I tried a landing and second takeoff to 3 feet, but nothing changed. SO I abandoned the flight and powered down.

Going to the manual, it seems to indicate I had an IMU error. Never had that before. I don't think it would have prevented me from flying, but I wonder if I might have been one of the "flyaway stories" had I continued?? It makes me wonder if noticing the LEDs flashing red was what saved me, and if that is why others have had flyaways. It would be possible to fail to notice that, or simply ignore it.

I'm also curious as to whether the proximity of the metal tractor (3 feet to the side) would have caused the error. I have launched from close to my car before, and seen videos of people launching from on top of their car sunroof. I know if you have some steel underneath the drone in reinforced concrete for example it can cause issues, but thought that was with the compass, not the IMU.

Anyway, I moved the tractor and tried again this morning, and everything went off without a hitch - alternating green and yellow on the rear status LEDs at takeoff. I did not perform an IMU calibration first as it didn't ask me to. Two flights completed AOK.

Shouldn't DJI offer more of a warning than just the flashing red LEDs if the IMU is corrupted. Seems like a critical error. Perhaps, either place a warning on the controller screen, or prevent takeoff until recalibrated?

Last edited:
I have a printed checklist for my pre-flight. Thanks for the comment about the status lights. I now added the status light check to my printed pre-flight check list.
I also printed a small copy of the status lights as a card to keep with me for easy reference. I already had a small card with RTH numbers.

I have a printed checklist for my pre-flight. Thanks for the comment about the status lights. I now added the status light check to my printed pre-flight check list.
I also printed a small copy of the status lights as a card to keep with me for easy reference. I already had a small card with RTH numbers.
Any chance you could share that checklist? I might see something not on my list.

My suggestion is to do some testing. Land the Air 2S on a flat surface with the propellers still spinning. Now can safely try different methods to find out what works and what doesn't. Can you takeoff with the left stick up? Can you takeoff with the takeoff/land button on the screen?
Home point update is a separate concern and wouldn't prevent takeoff, and may need manual update. Just check it out to make sure.
Safe testing will a great learning experience.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots