DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at night- Downtown Houston

GoldenEye

Reactions
I’m going through the steps required to fly at night in downtown Houston. There’s a lot of authorization required for waivers and class B airspace.
Can anyone simplify the process for me?
Also, if I get authorization, will I be able to fly higher than the buildings? They range from 450-740’

We can't combine our approvals etc. In order to fly at Night in Controlled Airspace you'll have to get an authorization that INCLUDES your 107.29 specifically. If there is any "approval" combining it has to be done via the FAA and your approval will state as such. For example: I have an AA for my local area (Class CHARLIE) and I have my 107.29 (Daylight Waiver). I can NOT combine these two allowances together. If I want to "request" they be combined I can but unless my AA specifically includes allowance for 107.29 in that airspace it's not legal.

An authorization (when/if granted) will come with very specific restrictions and as such you can NOT deviate from it. If the authorization states 200'AGL then you can't not go higher than that to go over a building/obstacle. Consider authorization limits as ABSOLUTELY and other than avoiding a Manned Aircraft conflict you do not deviate beyond those limits at all.

We can't combine our approvals etc. In order to fly at Night in Controlled Airspace you'll have to get an authorization that INCLUDES your 107.29 specifically. If there is any "approval" combining it has to be done via the FAA and your approval will state as such. For example: I have an AA for my local area (Class CHARLIE) and I have my 107.29 (Daylight Waiver). I can NOT combine these two allowances together. If I want to "request" they be combined I can but unless my AA specifically includes allowance for 107.29 in that airspace it's not legal.

An authorization (when/if granted) will come with very specific restrictions and as such you can NOT deviate from it. If the authorization states 200'AGL then you can't not go higher than that to go over a building/obstacle. Consider authorization limits as ABSOLUTELY and other than avoiding a Manned Aircraft conflict you do not deviate beyond those limits at all.
Wow that is fantastic information. Sounds like I can’t do this job then unfortunately. Thank you so much. Will continue to see what others say.

He didn't say it's *impossible.* It'd just be painful to get the appropriate approvals and authorizations.

Go hit up DroneZone, and start reading. I've found the personnel at the other end to be *incredibly* helpful.

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
Wow that is fantastic information. Sounds like I can’t do this job then unfortunately. Thank you so much. Will continue to see what others say.

As stated I didn't say impossible... because it is possible but depending on the specific time and traffic it may not be practical.

as @iaincaradoc stated you need to start with DroneZone. That can help a lot but you might save some time reaching out directly to the FSDO there in Hoston. Here's a link for their contact information. They may be able to state how likely or unlikely this request will be and save you some time.

I'm pretty sure it's going to get denied unless you're very lucky and very good at checking all of the "boxes" they expect to see. You'll have to be on your A game when submitting your request.

Lastly KUDOS to you for asking and researching instead of "Just Doing" and hoping it's legal.

Allen
FAA Safety Team Representative (Charlotte NC Region)
FAA Safety Team Drone Pro (Charlotte NC Region)

Reactions: iaincaradoc
As stated I didn't say impossible... because it is possible but depending on the specific time and traffic it may not be practical.

as @iaincaradoc stated you need to start with DroneZone. That can help a lot but you might save some time reaching out directly to the FSDO there in Hoston. Here's a link for their contact information. They may be able to state how likely or unlikely this request will be and save you some time.

I'm pretty sure it's going to get denied unless you're very lucky and very good at checking all of the "boxes" they expect to see. You'll have to be on your A game when submitting your request.

Lastly KUDOS to you for asking and researching instead of "Just Doing" and hoping it's legal.

Allen
FAA Safety Team Representative (Charlotte NC Region)
FAA Safety Team Drone Pro (Charlotte NC Region)
Thank you, Allen. I’m about to make some calls. I will keep y’all posted.
I look forward to learning from you guys.

Reactions: sar104
When my 107.29 Certificate of Wavier was approved, I went back and re-sub'd (updated) all of my CoA's (Certificate of Authorization) for the local airspaces and linked my 107.29 to them. Now all 17 of my CoA's also allow me to fly at night to the grid altitude max.

If I need to exceed the grid altitude it's a simple matter of submitting the request and linking to my already approved CoA and CoW. FAA approval is a whole other matter.

When my 107.29 Certificate of Wavier was approved, I went back and re-sub'd (updated) all of my CoA's (Certificate of Authorization) for the local airspaces and linked my 107.29 to them. Now all 17 of my CoA's also allow me to fly at night to the grid altitude max.

If I need to exceed the grid altitude it's a simple matter of submitting the request and linking to my already approved CoA and CoW. FAA approval is a whole other matter.

Good info Fred. Just curious, what classifications of Airspace do you have your approvals in? Seems like you have some crazy busy space in your neck of the woods where-as I only have Charlie to deal with

Reactions: Fred Garvin
B,C,D and Surface E.....got 'em all around me locally and also in the North Texas area, plus Ardmore Oklahoma.

DFW:

DFW Controlled Airspace.jpg

Here's a link to my CoA's....bottom of page:

FAA CoA's

Reactions: Fred Garvin
I'm lucky....I live and fly (for fun) in a little pocket of G! I fly in local parks and right out of my backyard. I'm in the little black circle. E700 is above me and DFW's B shelf is at 2k.

DFW Controlled Airspace.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato