DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying between vertical “wall” - risks?

Davros007

Reactions
Hi All,
If I wished to fly at speed through this “crack”, what are the chances of GPS disconnect and and entry into atti mode? How quickly does this occur?
In this poor photo, you can see a gap in the rocks of the cliff on the far side of the beach. I’d like to fly along the beach and through it (at about 1/2 its “depth”, kind of emulating those “wing suit” videos). Possible? Or would it quit GPS and go into the cliff as it went through? I’d guess the gap is about 25m long. In general, what are peoples experiences?
Can you view sat location map in Go4, and pick a time with best layout for a flight?D93CD459-61A9-4D51-B8DF-92CDDB37BD9F.jpegF217772B-D96F-4141-9ED8-BABAEF61D2C4.jpeg
From above (far right) doesn’t look quite as vertical sided. But kiss drone goodbye if it goes down in the surf! Note the hang-glider ramps on the hill - can’t fly if they’re in use!

Last edited:
Don't see why it would lose GPS? It's got a clear view to the sky where the satellites are.

The space is probably a lot larger than what can be seen in the photo at that distance.
Prop guards would probably be wise, just in case you were to bump. Just be careful go slow and depending on your skill you should be good.
To get the flysuit effect you could always edit the video to speed up :)
Good luck and happy flying

GPS ideally likes a 180 deg sky view. The satellites are scattered everywhere in that dome. Their exact positions are constantly moving during the day, and between days. The drone adapts to this continuously as the signals change, swapping satellites in and out as needed.

The math required, spherical geometry, plus precise time information for your flight will be required to determine the drone’s safety.

Reactions: gajman
So, how much time do you have with a loss of satellite signal before a Mavic Pro switches to atti mode? And, when this occurs, does the drone stop? Or keep moving forward? In other words, if I was to blast through under a bridge, for example, can I use momentum/forward thrust to get to the other side and regain a signal then keep going?

Last edited:
that is a pretty wide gap, i would of already flown through it :p

Trick is just to commit don't stop moving once you are in it.

If I wished to fly at speed through this “crack”, what are the chances of GPS disconnect and and entry into atti mode? How quickly does this occur?
Go and stand in the middle of the slot and look up.
How much of the sky is now blocked by rock and how much can you see?
The number of sats your drone can receive sats from is approximately proportional to the amount of sky visible.
And you need a good spread of sats, not sats that are bunched or in a line.

If that isn't clear enough, you could walk in with your drone and power it up in the middle and see how many sats it gets in there.

Just go for it..make a couple of test runs over the top for timing sake and to calm your nerves.. and then head on thru and make sure you post the results.
I'm pretty sure that DJI loves these photo op's....sales wise..;)
By the way..that sky looked pretty threatening. Those feeder rotor clouds hanging below the bases don't generally predict fair weather ahead

My colleagues from Australia are always proud to say there are creatures out there meant to kill you. Now I see there are flying spots out there meant to kill a drone, too!

But if I were there, I would probably whip out my trusty (and now less-expensive) MP, heed @hiflyer201‘s advice and do a flyover first.

Have fun...I can’t wait to see your video!

So, how much time do you have with a loss of satellite signal before a Mavic Pro switches to atti mode? And, when this occurs, does the drone stop? Or keep moving forward? In other words, if I was to blast through under a bridge, for example, can I use momentum/forward thrust to get to the other side and regain a signal then keep going?

If you lose GPS, that doesn't mean you'll lose signal so controls will still apply as per atti mode... Just keep going straight!

Go and stand in the middle of the slot and look up.
How much of the sky is now blocked by rock and how much can you see?
The number of sats your drone can receive sats from is approximately proportional to the amount of sky visible.
And you need a good spread of sats, not sats that are bunched or in a line.

If that isn't clear enough, you could walk in with your drone and power it up in the middle and see how many sats it gets in there.
I wouldn’t see much, as I got pounded to pieces by raging surf then eaten by a shark... Unfortunately it’s filled with white water and granite rocks!

This is where you have to fly by visual line of sight not video. There are some good YouTube videos on it.

I have a hard time navigating tight spaces when looking at the drone. I have to navigate through video feed, which is the attached video (less than 30 seconds). That same flight with VLOS did not go well.

Reactions: Davros007
If it goes into ATTI mode, it still flies and holds altitude, but is subject to wind drift.

The issue you seem to be anticipating is when flight control goes off kilter such as loss of compass accuracy or IMU (gyro/accelerometer) errors or computational errors where then it flies crazy until it decides to go ATTI as a fail safe.

Reactions: Davros007
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes