DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in backyard

Radmavic

Reactions
Can I fly my mavic pro ten feet high in backyard to video tape a family event.

We are within five miles of an airport. Will the drone be tracked.

The DJI map only shows the more major airports. I live about 1000 feet from a hospital heliport and it's considered an airport but isn't on the DJI map. I've just figured you have to notify the folks in charge of the heliport. Seems silly if I'm only wanting to fly up to look at my gutters, but you should factor in if something goes wrong and your quad decides take off to places unknown. At least you'd be covered if something did go wrong. I'd suggest to use Airmap but can't with their companies attitude I've read about toward UAV's. Maybe Hover or B4Ufly might help.

Edit: it's not like they (the airport) tracks you but if the quad flies off and hits somebody or does property damage, some authorities might be able to look at your flight log on the Mavic. If it's registered to you...well.

Last edited:
Can I fly my mavic pro ten feet high in backyard to video tape a family event.

We are within five miles of an airport. Will the drone be tracked.
I think you can.
My advise:
Try it. If you keep it 10 feet high and stay in control hands on. Better no auto modes that close to an airport. No auto take off, no RTH, no auto landing. Wait for solid GPS and check for wifi interference from neighbours. No flying directly above any people. And have the phone number of the tower at hand. If you have any sort of 'fly away', warn the tower that an uncontrolled drone is in their vicinity.

The short answer to your question is...YES.. But the long answer is...All air space above the ground is controlled by the FAA, so even if you are flying in your back yard, you should be complying with FAA regulations. i.e. you should notify airport you are flying in your back yard if within the 5 mile limit. Will they know you are...NO...will the police come and arrest you...NO...will it be safe to fly...YES...Maybe. When flying as a hobbyist, there are just a few rules to follow, it is your choice to follow them or not. The consequences could be nill or catastrophic. The only reason for the FAA rules is to keep the airspace safe for all who want to us it. (BTW I am not an FAA government employee, I just went to a FAA presentation at Minnesota Drone Day last Saturday were they talked about FAA UAV regulations)

Airspace Restrictions

The reason I said "Maybe" is that if for some reason you lose control of you drone and it takes off straight up or away, while at the same time an airplane is trying to land and there is an encounter, the FAA will take a dim view (to say the least) of you flying with out notifying the Airport.

Where I fly, there is a registered, uncontrolled, grass field 2 miles from me. essentially no one flies in or out that field, but per FAA regulation I am suppose to notify the owner of the field each time that I am flying. So I went over there the other day to talk to the owner to ascertain if his field is active and found out it isn't, but since it is one marked on the FAA air maps, anyone could land there, so at anytime an airplane could be flying over my drone, trying to land at that field. I also live within a half mile of a hospital that occasionally will get an emergency helicopter coming in almost right over my house, very fast and very low. Luckily they are very loud and I can hear them in time to land my drone in time to avoid them. Most small air plane that are flying over me are above 500 feet, and I do not fly higher than 400 feet, but still when I hear an airplane flying over I will bring my drone down to the tree tops or land. All that the FAA cares about is that we, UAV pilots, fly ethically and safe. They are not trying to rune our hobby nor our fun.

I'm in the US, so referring to that:

If you want to be on the safe side, you should notify the airport and avoid any ambiguities.

That said, the actual laws are a bit conflicting. The Causby case has been referenced a number of times which gives you the right to usable space over your own property, and it's hard to argue you can't use 10 feet. At first, the FAA authority was for navigable airspace, which probably wouldn't include your backyard either. However, that authority seems to have expanded lately.

With that said, I live on the inside edge of multiple maps 5 mile radius from a major airport. In reality, those maps start from the center of the airport, so I'm a bit closer to the end of the runway. I'm not in the typical flight pattern, but depending upon the winds I am occasionally close to the takeoff pattern, within 1/2 mile or so. When I am, planes fly about 2500 feet over my house (actually very rarely over my house, but over my neighborhood within site of the house). It should be noted, outside the 5 miles zone (via dji and airmap) they are only a few hundred feet higher. I do not fly when I'm in the flight pattern, even though there should be no issue.

A few times I flew from my backyard to about 150 feet, and did notify the airport, and they had no issue with it. However, a number of times I've flown at roof level or below to test firmware, filters, etc. and I do not notify the airport. The highest tree in my backyard is probably about 55 feet or so tall, and I've made my own personal rule that if I'm below my tree, that's my airspace and I'm not calling the airport, if I'm above, then I do. The reality is, if a plane that should be at 2500 feet is at 50 feet, it has other issues beside my 1 pound drone. I don't know if law would support me or not, and the airport has never told me not to fly when I do call, its just a convenience thing for me, as the airport wants me to call ops and the tower, so it takes a while, and more time than I want to spend for a quick couple of minute test.

So, to summarize the OP's question (assuming the US)
1 - No, the FAA can't track you
2 - You probably need to notify the airport if going by the letter of the FAA's rules
3 - Grey area if you don't and stay at 10 feet within your own yard
4 - I personally would not worry if staying at 10 feet, but some random guy (like me) on the internet saying it is ok, doesn't make it ok by law.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deluxone