DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Colombia with my Mavic Pro

sidwin

Reactions
First of all i would like to thank the person that posted a video of him flying his drone in medellin.

I would highly recommend NOT flying your drone in Colombia. The attention it brought is way too much if you are alone. I had two spotters with me at all time to keep an eye on the surroundings because of the attention flying brought. I was forced to land when i was flying in the parking lot downtown when absolutely no one was around this building that was getting renovated. Next thing, my tour group was question by local police running checks for interpol.

After that i started asking permission to anyone of authority... aka holding a gun if i could launch my mavic. I got some good videos but within 45 seconds of launching the crowds would appear. I launched in district 13. One national park told me no. I also did filming in the suburbs near the subways, yes i asked permission. Its funny how even in Spanish they knew drone :). Most of the footage i would get is a vertical lift off, grab some quick pics and come back down.

We went to Gudatape and I launched once we got to the top of the climb. It was pretty. Then when we got down i asked permission and went to the edge of the parking lot and found cinder blocks and launched. the drone got up to about 7 feet and hovered. Out of no where a red nose pitbull jumped up and grabbed my drone out of the air. I chased the pit bull and scared him off my drone. The dog punctured one of the arms on my drone but the gimbal was still working. he broke 2 props. I changed the props and decided to launch again. I said to myself i'm never coming back and i might as well. I ascended and got some great footage of the staircase and headed to land. The pit bull was mad and came back and tried to attack my mavic again. A tour guide started yelling at me but i was trying to get help from the police so i could land the drone. the next 3 minutes it was cat and mouse game. I tried to land on the top of the truck when the dog ran up the hood and jumped. i tried to move the drone some place with more people to get the dog to stop but he wasn't. i was beginning to worry if the battery would die. the owner of the restaurant offered to let me land on his roof. The moment the props stopped the pit bull stopped.

After this, i went and bought a mavic air while waiting to send back my mavic pro :)

here is one of the videos from that day... i checked the logs but it doesn't appear i have the flight logs from that day.

and FYI yes i know colombia was mis spelled in the video... it was a joke :)

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-12-02_[12-45-51].txt
    77.4 KB · Views: 0

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest