DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Costa Rica

Shaunmcfd

Reactions
Trying to find a definitive answer when it comes to flying in Costa Rica. I am headed to Guanacaste next month and want to bring my drone with me. I have my 107 cert but intend to fly for recreational purposes. has anyone done this or know where I can get an answer if I will run into any issues?

Ah Costa Rica! Amazing country. Flying a drone is relatively straightforward there. Rules are largely the same as in US. All drones must be registered with the Costa Rica Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). You can try this link here: Drone registration Spanish only. As I recall it was very easy and if there was a fee it was small.

When I was there pre-Covid there were just a handful of drone no fly zones and the rules were very similar to US regs (400' altitude limit, 8km from airports, don't fly over people etc.).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Reactions: Shaunmcfd
I emailed the
Departamento Operaciones
Aeronauticas in Costa Rica asking about drone regulations.

The reply that I received is as follows:

“Greetings in Costa Rica there are limitations for the use of Drones (Attached), it is prohibited to fly over people, Cities or Towns and near Airports, you only have to comply with these limitations and you will not have problems.

Outlook-v413jcru.png

ENR

RESTRICCIONES Y LIMITACIONES DE OPERACIÓN

PARA VEHÍCULOS AÉREOS NO TRIPULADOS

a Dirección cenera de Aviación i comunica a todos los usuarios de vehículos aereos nc

inpulados (UAV). de sistema de aeronaves pilotadas a distancia (RPAS v de aeronaves no trpuladas de aeromodelismo. las limitaciones de operación y las restricciones del espacio aéreo

Una persona NO debe operar una aeronave no tripulada en las siguientes condiciones:

1. En una zona prohibida, restringida (publicadas en la AIP de Costa Rica), excepto con el permiso y las condiciones establecidas por la DGAC.
  2. En el espacio aéreo controlado, excepto con el permiso y las condiciones establecidas por
    la DGAC
  3. Dentro de un radio de 8 KM alrededor de un aeródromo, excepto con el permiso y las condiciones establecidas por la DAC. De tal manera que pueda constituir un obstáculo a
    otra aeronave ale se anroxima o sale de un area de aterrizale o pista de un aerodromo
  4. Ninguna persona puede operar una aeronave no tripulada lo suficientemente cerca de otra
  5. aeronave, de modo que pueda constituirse en un peligro de colision.
    No se puede operar por encima de los 400 pies (120 M sobre el nive del terreno en el espacio aéreo no controlado, excepto con el permiso y las condiciones establecidas por la
    DGAC.
o. Pueden realizarse actividades aereas con aeronaves no tripuladas solo de dia y en condiciones meeorologicas visuales. a reazacion de vuelos nocurnos esa suea a a
aorovacion y conciciones 0e a osAo.

7. Las aeronaves no tripuladas SOLO pueden operar en zonas fuera de aglomeraciones de editicios en ciudades, pueblos o lugares habitados, reuniones de personas al aire libre, en
esoacio acreo no convolaco. exceoo con e vermiso vas conciciones estolecicas cor a

DGAC.

Ah Costa Rica! Amazing country. Flying a drone is relatively straightforward there. Rules are largely the same as in US. All drones must be registered with the Costa Rica Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). You can try this link here: Drone registration Spanish only. As I recall it was very easy and if there was a fee it was small.

When I was there pre-Covid there were just a handful of drone no fly zones and the rules were very similar to US regs (400' altitude limit, 8km from airports, don't fly over people etc.).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Registration of drones in Costa Rica is NOT required for recreational use. How do I know? I have a recent email from their Civil Aviation department (DGAC). You do have to follow all the fly rules as mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: RobertR
Trying to find a definitive answer when it comes to flying in Costa Rica. I am headed to Guanacaste next month and want to bring my drone with me. I have my 107 cert but intend to fly for recreational purposes. has anyone done this or know where I can get an answer if I will run into any issues?
I was in Costa Rica a month ago and flew everyday with no problems at all. Just fly with some common sense and all is good

Reactions: RobertR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne