DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in remote areas issues

... I am not looking forward to pressing it as it feels like giving over control which is stupid because all the time it is the IMU that is doing the flying...
True enough. We are more directing the craft instead of flying it. RTH is a great feature that you should get comfortable with. At the very least it can be used to get the craft started for home and you can cancel and take control and at the very worse it can save your craft if all connection is lost. Of course, at the very worse it can cause a crash if not set up properly. That is why you should become familiar with it. Remember to press and hold if using the RTH button on the RC.

RTH is a very reliable piece of programming and one of the most important aspects of flying to understand properly.
I'd also suggest taking some time to read the RTH section of the manual and experiment with RTH to get a feel for how it works, how to initiate it and how to cancel it.

Many drones have been lost because their owners did not understand RTH or did not know how to initiate it.
The day you need RTH is the worst possible day to start learning about it.
To you and Mossiback, who made a similar point in his post, I completely agree.

As I was typing my post about having never pressed the button I suddenly realised that it should have been one of the first things to try. Another reason I have always been reluctant is a nagging concern about being able to reliably cancel it.

One of the most powerful lessons I have learned from flying the Mavic is how important it is to have confidence in the systems. The first time doing anything there is often a bit of tension but once you have done the same thing a dozen or so times you start to trust that it will behave reliably. Of course you must never get complacent but it makes flying so much more enjoyable. One of the good things about DJI is that they do seem to be able to design and build robust hardware and to a slightly lesser extent, software.

So it is time to get acquainted with RTH ;)

True enough. We are more directing the craft instead of flying it.
By coincidence, as I was writing my post about the IMU I nearly used those exact same words.

As someone who has tried to fly single rotor model helicopters, I am acutely aware of just how many tiny variations in the speed of our four motors must be constantly occurring just to keep the thing in a stable hover. I have said on another thread somewhere that even with a gyro controlling the tail rotor it takes hours and hours of practice to keep a model helicopter in a stable hover, never mind move it anywhere ! This is with only one single motor to control, although to be fair you are not only controlling the revs but also the pitch of the rotor. They do say that a quadcopter like ours, with counter rotating props, is inherently quite stable but it would be an interesting exercise to see if it would be possible to hover one by programming a radio controller to control the four esc's. I would have no chance but a young 14 year old might be able to do it ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580