DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in San Francisco

DStanworth

Reactions
I passed the test and it is still not completely clear if you can fly in some places or not. Definitely cannot fly in the northern coast of San Francisco, from the Presido all the way north to Stinson Beach is off limits as far as I can tell. I do believe you can fly along the Embarcadero. I make sure I am not flying over people or over the freeway or traffic. Basically find a wide spot that I can launch and land and I go straight up, take a few shots then fly straight back down. So I am right next to automobile and pedestrian traffic but not over it. I find twilight is the best time to fly, better light for the images and less people out and about. I post my work on flickr.com and I have seen several guys flying along the Embarcadero. Most of my work is ground photography but I have a few images here -- Dennis Stanworth

San Francisco_0703.jpg

I passed the test and it is still not completely clear if you can fly in some places or not. Definitely cannot fly in the northern coast of San Francisco, from the Presido all the way north to Stinson Beach is off limits as far as I can tell. I do believe you can fly along the Embarcadero. I make sure I am not flying over people or over the freeway or traffic. Basically find a wide spot that I can launch and land and I go straight up, take a few shots then fly straight back down. So I am right next to automobile and pedestrian traffic but not over it. I find twilight is the best time to fly, better light for the images and less people out and about. I post my work on flickr.com and I have seen several guys flying along the Embarcadero. Most of my work is ground photography but I have a few images here -- Dennis Stanworth

View attachment 114737

I really agree on your criteria for flying in congested areas- I do the same thing. I go at off hours (dawn) and dusk, Sunday mornings, etc. I wait for people to disperse if possible. I go up straight above me about 60-100 feet, do my single shots (no flying) and come straight down as fast as I can. This is a very nice shot. I would have opened the shadows beneath and behind the bridge a bit more in your software program. I gave it a try- see attached.

Attachments

• San Francisco retouch.jpg
    San Francisco retouch.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 58

View attachment 114737
very nice shot...just so u know I clicked the link twice, the 1st time it was painfully slow and the 2nd I lost patience b4 it ever loaded.

I really agree on your criteria for flying in congested areas- I do the same thing. I go at off hours (dawn) and dusk, Sunday mornings, etc. I wait for people to disperse if possible. I go up straight above me about 60-100 feet, do my single shots (no flying) and come straight down as fast as I can. This is a very nice shot. I would have opened the shadows beneath and behind the bridge a bit more in your software program. I gave it a try- see attached.

Nice retouch, Dale, very nice. You do such beautiful work.

Nice stuff !! Thank you for sharing.

Dale,

I guess you are correct I could have opened the shadows a bit there. Thanks for pointing that out. I have found it is nice to have a second set of eyes. I am editing so many photos and sometimes miss the obvious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000