DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Mini 3 Pro in an NFZ without GPS Module?

basinclar

Reactions
Hello Mavipilots community,

I have a Mavic Mini 3 Pro and I'm currently in a No-Fly Zone (NFZ). I'm considering unplugging the GPS module. Would this allow me to fly the drone normally in the NFZ? If this isn't a viable solution, do any of you have other recommendations or alternative solutions for this situation?

Thank you for your insights and suggestions

Hello Mavipilots community,

I have a Mavic Mini 3 Pro and I'm currently in a No-Fly Zone (NFZ). I'm considering unplugging the GPS module. Would this allow me to fly the drone normally in the NFZ? If this isn't a viable solution, do any of you have other recommendations or alternative solutions for this situation?

Thank you for your insights and suggestions
What kind of NFZ? locked RED? locked BLUE?
To fly in RED, you need a full set of permissions from the EASA and any regulatory organization tasked with administration of that zone.
To fly in BLUE, you need to submit an unlock request through your DJI account and also notify any regulatory body that might administer the zone.
If you fly without authorization in either a RED or BLUE geozone: you are breaking the law.

Getting permissions is not impossible: but for a RED zone, the process is difficult, it does get slightly easier after you have jumped through all the hoops the first time, but not by much.

By comparison, BLUE zone unlocks are a walk in the park and very quick to arrange.

If you don't want to go by the official route: the best way to fly your drone is to take it to an area that is outside any geo-restricted zone and THEN put it up in the air... although this would be difficult given the massive size of the temporary NFZ in place between 23 September and 23 October (rugby World Cup?).

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsFitz
I'm considering unplugging the GPS module. Would this allow me to fly the drone normally in the NFZ?
If the drone would allow you to launch (and it's not certain that it would), you wouldn't be able to fly normally at all.
Your drone couldn't record a home point.
Even if it did, the drone wouldn't be able to RTH to the home point.
The drone would be in Atti Mode and would have no horizontal position holding, so it would be blown around by wind and it wouldn't have any brakes when you went hands-off on the sticks and would be extremely risky flying close to any obstacles.
It would be controllable, but require some advanced skills to pilot it.
So, no, it wouldn't fly normally.

Reactions: danwnz
If the drone would allow you to launch (and it's not certain that it would), you wouldn't be able to fly normally at all.
Your drone couldn't record a home point.
Even if it did, the drone wouldn't be able to RTH to the home point.
The drone would be in Atti Mode and would have no horizontal position holding, so it would be blown around by wind and it wouldn't have any brakes when you went hands-off on the sticks and would be extremely risky flying close to any obstacles.
It would be controllable, but require some advanced skills to pilot it.
So, no, it wouldn't fly normally.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm experienced with flying FPV and don't usually rely on features like RTH or GPS positioning. So, piloting in ATTI mode for a commerical drone like the mavic mini 3 pro isn't an issue for me. The same for obstacle detection, When I do fpv i have no intelligent sensor to prevent me from hitting an obstacle, it is all on me to avoid them.

My aim is to operate the drone in a controlled setting. However, the NFZ restrictions present challenges. I'm considering either unplugging the GPS module or using aluminum foil to block the signal. My concern is the Mini 3's software: I'm unsure if a missing GPS module would prevent flight entirely, versus simply not receiving a GPS signal, which I've managed in enclosed spaces without satellite detection to make the drone arm and fly .

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm experienced with flying FPV and don't usually rely on features like RTH or GPS positioning. So, piloting in ATTI mode for a commerical drone like the mavic mini 3 pro isn't an issue for me. The same for obstacle detection, When I do fpv i have no intelligent sensor to prevent me from hitting an obstacle, it is all on me to avoid them.

My aim is to operate the drone in a controlled setting. However, the NFZ restrictions present challenges. I'm considering either unplugging the GPS module or using aluminum foil to block the signal. My concern is the Mini 3's software: I'm unsure if a missing GPS module would prevent flight entirely, versus simply not receiving a GPS signal, which I've managed in enclosed spaces without satellite detection to make the drone arm and fly .
Sounds like you've answered your question. Covering the GPS receiver with foil is effective and much easier than opening the case to get at the connection. I've used foil to disable the GPS receiver to prevent a non GPS to GPS transition that can sometimes happen in an indoor setting.

My concern is the Mini 3's software: I'm unsure if a missing GPS module would prevent flight entirely, versus simply not receiving a GPS signal, which I've managed in enclosed spaces without satellite detection to make the drone arm and fly .
see page 41 of the ver 1.6 of the Mini 3 Pro manual

I would imagine disconnecting the GPS module will create fault/errors that would ground the bird from an IMU Initialization stand point. I'd try the alum foil wrap and hope for the best.

Why not respect the law and not fly in a NFZ?
Because (at least where I live) DJI NFZ's don't match with local restrictions. There's red zones where I should be allowed to fly (with certain limits) and there's blue zone ON THE LITERAL AIRPORT AREA.

I hope that i'm not late, disconecting the gps flex will send you a "unconnected GPS" advise, the aircraft won't take off, in my case, this came because a client send me his mini 3 pro with the flex blroken, i feel that the best way to go is with the aluminum foil over the top, use some tape and i'll work, i think, let us know! i used that trick in the phantom series

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne