DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mini 3 Pro in hot climates

Yes, I certainly agree that overheating when the props are not spinning is a design flaw. My point is simply that this is never the case when the drone is hovering. What many folks seem to forget (or not know) is that most of the air which cools the drone after takeoff does not come from the drone moving through the air, but from the propellers. This can be proven by comparing the speed of the down blast from the propellers to the flying velocity of the drone.
The props are off to the sides when spinning,which means the downdraft air created by the props is cooling nothing
as the cooling vents are in the center behind the gimbal.Or am I missing something here.
It seems the only way it would stay cool would be by flying to keep air moving through the vents behind the camera.
I was going to get the mini 3 pro at one point but this was the main reason why I did not,and bought something different
as an upgrade to what I have.I take most of my photos over water on shipwrecks which requires a lot of hovering.

The props are off to the sides when spinning,which means the downdraft air created by the props is cooling nothing
as the cooling vents are in the center behind the gimbal.Or am I missing something here.
It seems the only way it would stay cool would be by flying to keep air moving through the vents behind the camera.
I was going to get the mini 3 pro at one point but this was the main reason why I did not,and bought something different
as an upgrade to what I have.I take most of my photos over water on shipwrecks which requires a lot of hovering.
Yes, you are missing something, namely, the fact that moving air always moves the air around it. The air immediately next to a fan will move almost as fast as the air moving through the fan, because the moving air drags the adjacent air with it. This is easily seen by holding a thin strip of tissue next to a fan (a real fan, not a wimpy decorative fan). The same thing happens to the drone; the propellers push the air directly down, as you stated, but that air blast also moves the adjacent air, which cools the drone.

Finally, if overheating were related to hovering, people would be reporting it. That isn't happening. Conclusion: it's an unsubstantiated fear.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143