DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying outside FRZ of an airfield UK

TheBigLedroneski

Reactions
Hi all, new operator here with a Mini 2.

I'm a bit confused by some things I've read. I was under the impression that if there was an airfield you could still fly outside of the FRZ, however I just read that it's illegal to fly within 4 (?) Miles of an airfield or airport. I couldn't see any information to this on the CAA website and if this is correct , why isn't the FRZ on Drone Assist or other apps shown as a large zone?

Type NATS map in the Google search bar. This will give you all the current airport/airfield NFZ's if you add it to browser favourites, you can use it to check wherever you are at any given time. DRONE ASSIST is also very useful for NOTAM's and other temp restrictions. Both of these databases are accurate with correct zone borders. Although neither display end-of-runway altitude zones as well as the DJI FLY SAFE map does.

If the NATS map shows you're good to go: you are. Same with DRONE ASSIST which is part of Altitude Angel - the private company that is in bed with the CAA and is a significant part of the 'stakeholder group' responsible for forming the legislative framework governing the use of UAV's in Europe and the UK.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me that I had my drone with me on my trip to the UK last April but didn't get it in the air (busy trip). We were staying just outside the Heathrow FRZ, however, the only scenery around was the town of Slough ... so can you blame me for not getting the drone up in the air really? :)

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the NATS map also and it appears my flight was OK 👍
I may be preaching to the choir, but just in case you weren't aware: larger airports have two zones, red and red(RED). If there's an airport nearby, phone ATC, or better still, send an email to their drone team explaining where you want to fly and if it's in their outer red zone: they can give permission as long as you give them a couple of days to process the request.... BUT ONLY FOR THE OUTER ZONE.

This thread reminds me that I had my drone with me on my trip to the UK last April but didn't get it in the air (busy trip). We were staying just outside the Heathrow FRZ, however, the only scenery around was the town of Slough ... so can you blame me for not getting the drone up in the air really? :)
There is one place less photogenic..... That's Rhyl in North Wales. I'd rather photograph leprosy.

• Haha
Reactions: rjwmorrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne