DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying outside of a state park boundary

stberlin

Reactions
where I want to fly is Cascade Lake in the middle of 3 NFZ's, Wildlife reserve to the left, Controlled air space (Airport) on the right, and a State Park up north.
I'm not attempting to fly over towards the state park or to the Reserve. I just want to fly around this tiny lake. Is it legal?

state_park.fw.png

Reactions: bushie
You'll want to check with your state and the park officials in that park if you can take off/land there. There's a good chance they do allow it.

As for the wildlife reserve, same thing. Neither jurisdictions can restrict flight, only FAA can do that. However takeoff/land privileges tend to influence the practicalites and ethics in flying over them.

As for controlled space, that depends on the control specifications, whether you fly 107 or former 336, distance from airport, and your obtained authorizations (for 107) or gave notice (336, within 5 miles).

Does the controlled space extend over the lake?

Last edited:
I just checked Airmap, they claim that park is national, not state. No go there. Not legally prohibited to fly over, but they don't want you there.
TVL is way far enough from the lake to be an issue from what I can tell. The national park to the lower west part of the lake is your bigger concern. If you take off from the northern half of the lake or east side, I see no general issue.

I might be on the wrong lake. Airmap shows what I'm looking at as Fallen Leaf Lake. General area looks similar though.

thanks for checking. this is near lake Tahoe. this is all outside the boundaries of controlled air space on the right, the wilderness on the left (the red line) and the state park up north. AirMap Web App

Article about Cascade Lake: Hike into History | Cascade Lake & Falls - Tahoe Weekly
Last sentence in article: Editor’s Note: Cascade Lake is a private community and there is no public access to the lake.

As for the state park, this from California Dept of Parks and Recreation: Drones are currently allowed in State Parks, State Beaches, State Historic Parks, State Recreational Areas, and State Vehicular Recreation Areas except where prohibited by a District Superintendent’s posted order. If being flown commercially (Part 107), you must obtain a permit from the park.

Article about Cascade Lake: Hike into History | Cascade Lake & Falls - Tahoe Weekly
Last sentence in article: Editor’s Note: Cascade Lake is a private community and there is no public access to the lake.

As for the state park, this from California Dept of Parks and Recreation: Drones are currently allowed in State Parks, State Beaches, State Historic Parks, State Recreational Areas, and State Vehicular Recreation Areas except where prohibited by a District Superintendent’s posted order. If being flown commercially (Part 107), you must obtain a permit from the park.
A lot of CA state parks are now closed to drones, so definitely check. Also check all recent FAA NOTAMS and sectional maps - have you checked the local airspace?
D7464820-FF99-4EBC-B813-C4CB18B89B9B.jpeg

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

There are houses on the north. but you can go to Bayview Trailhead west to the southern part of the lake. I doubt there is such thing as a private lake.

Just check out the Lake Tahoe airfield there to the East... you should be ok after letting them know, besides you will be in class G airspace as E airspace.starts at 700 AGL above that area as per the circled area you put on the sectional.. have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: stberlin
based on the sectional chart provided as AMann stated you should be good to go in terms of airspace

Reactions: stberlin
Just check out the Lake Tahoe airfield there to the East... you should be ok after letting them know, besides you will be in class G airspace as E airspace.starts at 700 AGL above that area as per the circled area you put on the sectional.. have fun!

I've gone back twice since this post. Now with the new rules, is it still ok to fly here?

Controlled airspace starts 700 feet above that area, so you are ok in the g airspace below it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada