DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Safety Alarm - Loud Buzz/Beep whilst in flight

agentollie

Reactions
Hey there,
Anyone know of any products that you can attach to the drone so that people can hear it flying?
This is so I can fly in noisy environments - and people know the drone is nearby.
Also a flashing LED suitable for daytime use would be good too - I really want people to know I'm there!

I've seen this VIFLY alarm that makes a loud repeating noise if you crash your drone - but I want something that sounds whilst in flight. I've seen these have a sensitivity setting, perhaps on maximum sensitivity it makes the alarm when it's flying anyone know?

Isn’t the buzz of the drone loud enough ?
How close to people do you intend to fly ?
Any strobe should still be visible in the daylight.

Isn’t the buzz of the drone loud enough ?
How close to people do you intend to fly ?
Any strobe should still be visible in the daylight.

Not loud enough in the environment I am flying in (hi winds) - I'm trying to film kitesurfing and want the athletes to know where I am. You can't hear the propellor noise in 25 knots.

what rules would you be intending to use to fly close to people

Reactions: THE CYBORG
So you want to fly close to kitesurfers in a 25 knot wind !!
Good luck with that :eek:
Impending disaster ;)
I'm not filming kids building sand castles mate these are professional extreme sports athletes.

It's for professional kitesurfing films - been doing this for a while and no incidents yet.
The Mavic Pro 2 is a champ in high winds.
You want standout footage you gotta get crazy and creative mate.

Anyway if you have any ideas on a device that could continually make an alarm sound would be appreciated as per the thread title. :rolleyes:

what rules would you be intending to use to fly close to people
This isn't an answer to the question?

For the record I'm not flying close to the athlete - but I am flying close to the kite. if the kitesurfer knows I'm above him or to the side of him he won't send his kite into the drone which is the most likely event to occur.

I'm not filming kids building sand castles mate these are professional extreme sports athletes.

It's for professional kitesurfing films - been doing this for a while and no incidents yet.
The Mavic Pro 2 is a champ in high winds.
You want standout footage you gotta get crazy and creative mate.

Anyway if you have any ideas on a device that could continually make an alarm sound would be appreciated as per the thread title. :rolleyes:

Now you have explained your plan these may be of interest.

The Minder is - (40mm x 60mm x 12mm) - Pull Pin Activation - 140 Decibel Siren
Or
The Defender IIIT is the loudest personal alarm within the Defender range with a very powerful 143 decibel siren .

Defender also do one with a strobe but I can’t find any dimensions for the Defender range.

Reactions: old man mavic
Now you have explained your plan these may be of interest.

The Minder is - (40mm x 60mm x 12mm) - Pull Pin Activation - 140 Decibel Siren
Or
The Defender IIIT is the loudest personal alarm within the Defender range with a very powerful 143 decibel siren .

Defender also do one with a strobe but I can’t find any dimensions for the Defender range.
The personal alarm was a great suggestion but lightest one I can find is 40grams. Light enough I guess but the VIFLY Finder is only 10grams. And only $20.
Looking at this video looks like you can trigger it by flicking it so it thinks it's crashed - and then sending your drone off with the alarm going. Lol anyway might order one and see how we go.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
This isn't an answer to the question?

For the record I'm not flying close to the athlete - but I am flying close to the kite. if the kitesurfer knows I'm above him or to the side of him he won't send his kite into the drone which is the most likely event to occur.

So let me get this straight . . . you're flying to capture the Kitesurfer in action but you're wanting the Kitsurfer to be on the lookout for your drone? Seems to me like that would take away from the kitesurfer's attention and add to their workload. Why not fly slightly higher and well out of the RANGE of the kite's and utilize your post production skills to appear closer?

TBH I see lots of BAD potential happening here and talk about negative publicity.

So let me get this straight . . . you're flying to capture the Kitesurfer in action but you're wanting the Kitsurfer to be on the lookout for your drone? Seems to me like that would take away from the kitesurfer's attention and add to their workload. Why not fly slightly higher and well out of the RANGE of the kite's and utilize your post production skills to appear closer?

TBH I see lots of BAD potential happening here and talk about negative publicity.
This is a fair question - and generally I do fly far enough away to avoid any problems. Kites are very fast though and you can still get hit if you are 30+ metres high if the kitesurfer jumps (they can jump 10 metres high).
The main benefit in the kitesurfer hearing the drone besides safety is to make them try and maximise their performance or trick as they know they are being filmed.

I’ve had shoots where the kitesurfer didn’t even see the drone and thought I didn’t turn up for the shoot lol, and didn’t try any tricks etc.

Post editing can only go so far with the small lens of the mavic. Nothing beats getting up and close to the subject in terms of quality.

I am considering using propellor guards too BUT this would probably slow the mavic down too much in high winds I’m not sure I haven’t tried yet.

The mavic pro Zoom would be better for this job for safety, but once again the quality is not as good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO