DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mavic through very small openings - any advice?

DroneCraft

Reactions
Pretty much the title. I've been testing the feasibility of running the mavic in one car window and out the other for a shoot.

Here's what I've learned so far testing it out in my beater work truck. (one successful run and and bad one)

1. Downward visual positioning off
- way too much variance
2. Stop motor method to CSC Maneuver
- I don't want the mavic to recover, I want it to drop if I catch something.
3. Order prop guards
--I'm worried about the extra width, but it would probably be worse to rip apart the headliner or seats of the picture car.
4. No wind
-Mavic corrects late and unpredictably. I really wish the mavic had attitude mode

I don't know, obviously the mavic wasn't built for these kind of technical shots. Although those propeller cages might be make these shots more than feasible.

Any ideas on settings, modes that might make this easier? I'm confident in my flying ability but I'm worried about the mavic correcting itself into the car. I'm going to try out Tripod mode but I'm worried about having a sluggish response.

Fly a repeatable pattern using waypoints to fine tune, then roll the car into the course?

Reactions: Darkbrood
Tripod mode is a little slow and unresponsive. Cinematic mode is looking way better. More of an attitude type feel and the yaw response is turned way down.

You can likely get into ATTI mode by blocking the GPS signal with a bit of shielding on top of the Mavic.

I don't know, I would probably look into using a smaller drone for this. There are plenty of cheap drones on the market that are small, have no features that get in the way when piloting manually, aren't as expensive to replace when things go wrong, and probably won't do as much damage to the car either.

Do you happen to have a GoPro or something? The wider lens would probably be nicer for this shot anyway, and then you could just use any cheap GoPro carrier drone for this.

Reactions: Darkbrood
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky