DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frame grabbing from Mini 3 Pro 4K footage

Nickyb65

Reactions
Hi

I've found, using Lightroom, I get better stills image quality if I frame grab a 4k video section than if I use the 48mp photo mode on the drone.

To me the 4K grab looks sharper, do other operators find this?

cheers

Thumbswayup

Certainly shouldn’t be sharper. Are you sure you’re looking at the full resolution 48MP shots and not the previews?

It is pretty standard in the video world, both amateur and broadcast, to process the video to give the apparent impression of sharpness by boosting contrast between vertical edges. Lightroom will add its own default processing, which may or may not be as good as the original video.

Lightroom also adds it’s default processing to photo images most obviously with RAW images but the default is only Adobe’s interpretation of what is ‘normal’ and leaves the final output in the hand of the operator.

Reactions: Nickyb65
Certainly shouldn’t be sharper. Are you sure you’re looking at the full resolution 48MP shots and not the previews?

It is pretty standard in the video world, both amateur and broadcast, to process the video to give the apparent impression of sharpness by boosting contrast between vertical edges. Lightroom will add its own default processing, which may or may not be as good as the original video.

Lightroom also adds it’s default processing to photo images most obviously with RAW images but the default is only Adobe’s interpretation of what is ‘normal’ and leaves the final output in the hand of the operator.
Thanks for the reply, yes the 4K grab looks sharper to me, maybe it is because I left if on auto focus and not MF. I'm not using any ND filters at the moment, maybe that would help but I doubt it.

ND filters are only of use in video mode to ensure the required frame rate especially as you have a fixed aperture on this camera.

No use at all for photo use unless you’re trying to add motion blur to an object such as a waterfall and want a longer shutter speed than the unfiltered light would allow.

With such a small sensor and very wide angle lens it is very hard to get a photo out of focus in the air looking down or forward. More often than not an image from a drone camera that looks out of focus is a result of a low shutter speed or movement of the aircraft or camera gimbal.

I used to use a program called HDRinstant. It would use several frames of the video to come up with a HDR photo. The software was very taxing on a average computer. To get the best results it would take 5-6 hours to render a photo from a video. I had mixed results but because of the time it took I have not used it in a very long time. I think you can still down load a free version to try. I know it has plugins for lightroom.

I've actually found the problem. I exported the footage using iMovie as a .MOV file which reading up on it is not as efficient as .MP4.

When I exported to .MP4 it was fluid like it should be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143