DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FT Aviator Controller

Joe4flight

Reactions
As a new drone pilot who did not grow up with “2 thumb controllers,” I had concerns about being able to fully control “spur of the moment” movements when piloting my new DJI Mavic Pro Platinum with the included 2 thumb controller. However, I did grow up with one stick controllers and when I saw the new one stick controller by Fluidity, the FT Aviator, I just had to take the plunge. I don’t believe these new FT Aviator units will ship until March 2019, but if anyone has thoughts on this, I welcome the additional insight. BTW, it seems Fluidity won an innovation award at the recent Consumer Electronics Show.

I have one on order too. I'm an old "stick" pilot who saw the advantage of a nice tactile "stick" with the flavor of a collective.

The "throttle" to ascend/descend on the thumb control seems too far off from a stick airplane to make me want one.
I did't see if you can customize the controls, to have the stick forward/backward control throttle (Altitude)?

It says it has a programmable button, but what can be programmed is something that we'll have to wait for the user guide to know. You were referring to having X-axis controlling the Z-axis. I wouldn't think it would do that. From the site: The FT Aviator single-handed controller precisely enables the four degrees of freedom of flight applicable to drones: forward and backward (X-axis), left and right (Y-axis), up and down (Z-axis) and turning left and right (Yaw)

Does anyone have any news on when the product will ship? I've had mine ordered for months now and i'm getting impatient!!! I can not wait until it arrives! Although, I am a little worried about the lack of tablet compatibility (I use my iPad mini 4 for my M2Zoom), which, according to the website, is in the works. I suppose this will give me a reason to finally break out my DJI goggles. Also, the fact that it has to be connected to the Mavic controller seems inconvenient. From what I understand, hanging the controller from your neck with a lanyard is the preferred method? Which creates and issue for me, as I was considering purchasing a range extender, the Titan Switch. I may have to just bring a folding table along to accommodate my ridiculous setup...

Does anyone have any news on when the product will ship? I've had mine ordered for months now and i'm getting impatient!!! I can not wait until it arrives! Although, I am a little worried about the lack of tablet compatibility (I use my iPad mini 4 for my M2Zoom), which, according to the website, is in the works. I suppose this will give me a reason to finally break out my DJI goggles. Also, the fact that it has to be connected to the Mavic controller seems inconvenient. From what I understand, hanging the controller from your neck with a lanyard is the preferred method? Which creates and issue for me, as I was considering purchasing a range extender, the Titan Switch. I may have to just bring a folding table along to accommodate my ridiculous setup...

Here's the latest:

We are excited to report that we continue to make excellent progress on the FT Aviator manufacturing front. We are relentlessly fine-tuning and improving as early articles come off the line, incorporating the valuable feedback we received at CES. As we prepare for full production, the team is headed to China this week for final adjustments and approvals on our molded parts.
In addition, we’ve developed a reliability testing platform to begin late this month. Our volume production and additional testing will start once reliability testing concludes. With this production and testing plan in place, we expect the FT Aviator to start shipping in 2Q 2019 in the US, with international shipments starting 2-3 months after. While this is later than we originally anticipated, we want to ensure we are putting the best possible product into your hands.
We are dedicated to providing a robust, reliable, and high quality flying experience to our backers. Please keep an eye out for another update later this month when we will be able to provide additional details on final production and shipping dates.
Best,
-Team Fluidity
https://emails.kickstarter.com/mpss...bYEpalampV1eCnekdb-2FEw41c72GsPa9sAy3vEctE-3D

Hello Serr8ededge. I reached out to Fluidity recently to inquire about when the FT Aviator was going to ship. Here is the response I received.

Hi Joseph-

We understand your frustration and thanks for reaching out. We’ve made excellent progress on the FT Aviator manufacturing front. We are relentlessly fine-tuning and improving as early articles come off the line, incorporating the valuable feedback we received at CES. As we prepare for full production, the team is in China this week for final adjustments and approvals on our molded parts.

Our volume production and additional testing will start once reliability testing concludes late this month. With this, we expect the FT Aviator to start shipping in 2Q 2019 in the US, with international shipments starting 2-3 months after. While this is later than we originally anticipated, we want to ensure we are putting the best possible product into your hands. We should have a more solid date to communicate at the end of the month.

Thanks for your patience, and please let us know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,
Team Fluidity

Reactions: Dronage
Although I wont be buying this, one thing intrigues me: the hand manipulating the stick has hold of quite a large levering handle, wheres you are supporting the base much closer to the pivot point using your other hand, this means you will have to grip the base very firmly to react the forces generated by your stick hand, especialy in the roll axis
I can only imagine a very uncomfortable and jerky action.
I am interested in how you have got around this, is the stick detecting a deflection using something like hall effect sensors or does the base contain some form of strain/pressure sensor?

I am very pessimistic indeed of this device's usefullness but always keen to learn

Although I wont be buying this, one thing intrigues me: the hand manipulating the stick has hold of quite a large levering handle, wheres you are supporting the base much closer to the pivot point using your other hand, this means you will have to grip the base very firmly to react the forces generated by your stick hand, especialy in the roll axis
I can only imagine a very uncomfortable and jerky action.
I am interested in how you have got around this, is the stick detecting a deflection using something like hall effect sensors or does the base contain some form of strain/pressure sensor?

I am very pessimistic indeed of this device's usefullness but always keen to learn
Hello Nomad, The detail in your analysis is much appreciated. Being an older guy who has limited experience playing Xbox games using a similar controller for my MPP, I was intrigued by the idea of having the FT Aviator to get a more relaxed control on the flying aspects of my drone while I can concentrate more on camera controls. I ordered this new device back in January and I’m still waiting for it to be shipped to me. I felt pre-ordering this device would be beneficial from the standpoint of saving $150, but I was disappointed that they wanted $120 for the carrying case and would not throw that in as a thank you for being an early adapter. I am also on their email list, and it seems they are getting multiple awards for innovating this unique control device. I’m sure the forum comments will increase dramatically once this unit is shipped and people have had experience controlling their drones with it. I was also disappointed that I will be receiving a lanyard that will be attached to the DJI radio controller that will connect to the FT aviator base that I will wear around my neck. I would have thought the FT aviator would have been all inclusive from that standpoint. But I am optimistic this unit will be a pleasure to own, and provide much greater control of my drone. I will definitely keep the Mavic pro community informed based on my initial experiences using the FT aviator unit when it finally arrives.

Reactions: Dronage
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa