DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Generic Drone Law Question

Jackeroo

Reactions
Hello Mavic Pilots forum people,

I've been trying to wrap my head around the new drone legislation and I'm not sure whether it's work, corona or christmas but it's turning my mind to mush so I thought I'd ping it at the experts and see what you guys have to say.

I would like to fly one of my drones (Inspire 1 or Mavic Pro) from my back garden around my house taking photographs to create a 3D model on my computer. The house is a detached house with neighbours either side quite close like a normal residential street.

Providing I check there's no airspace restrictions and bash out a NOTAM - can I just crack on and do this legally or must I inform my neighbours/get permission from them or any other relevant authority?

Kindest regards,

Jack

@Jackeroo as it stands you would need to inform your neighbors,and you would have to also check for any air space restrictions in operation where you are intending to fly as you said ,and fly under the current drone code regs

4. Do not fly closer to people than 50m​

This includes people in buildings and transport, including cars, lorries, trains, boats.

You must keep a minimum horizontal distance of 50m between your drone or model aircraft and people. This creates a no fly zone around people that goes all the way up to the legal height limit. It can help to think of this no fly zone as a cylinder.

You must not fly over people in this no fly zone, even if you fly higher than 50m.

drone-code-50m-to-people.png

Can you get enough separation from your neighbors? you mention close neighbors.

Strictly speaking I think over the neighbour's house is not legal but if they are ok with it then...... just don't annoy them and don't do it frequently. Over people, no, avoid that like the plague.
However if you have Victor Meldrew next door I'd be wary.
I had an RTH go wonky and it put the flight path behind a tree, out of sight. I cancelled the RTH and it was hovering, When I finally worked out where it had gone it was over two-doors-up's front porch, I passed bricks at that point. Normally I wont stray beyond my hedge line and down the garden I am clear of houses etc.

neighbours either side quite close like a normal residential street.
Providing I check there's no airspace restrictions and bash out a NOTAM - can I just crack on and do this legally or must I inform my neighbours/get permission from them or any other relevant authority?
Talk to the neighbours/neighbourhood to "support" request (see the The Drone and Model Aircraft Code) then "bash out a NOTAM"
you’ll need authorisation from the Civil Aviation Authority if you want to fly:
at different heights or distances etc. to the ones in this Code (The Drone and Model Aircraft Code)
or get a DJI Mini 2 (other sub 250g drones are available ;)) lot less restrictive etc. after Dec 31st 2020

Hello Mavic Pilots forum people,

I've been trying to wrap my head around the new drone legislation and I'm not sure whether it's work, corona or christmas but it's turning my mind to mush so I thought I'd ping it at the experts and see what you guys have to say.

I would like to fly one of my drones (Inspire 1 or Mavic Pro) from my back garden around my house taking photographs to create a 3D model on my computer. The house is a detached house with neighbours either side quite close like a normal residential street.

Kindest regards,

Jack
Top of the morning Jack,
As part of your flight planning, Weather/Airspace/Notams, local ordinances, I would talk to any of your neighbors who could see your drone during your flight. Not so much as to ask permission, but tell them who you are, where you live and exactly what your flight plan is and the purpose of your flight. You could educate them about your drone to make them more at ease. Most neighbors will be compatible, but be prepared for one that may not be, and adjust your flight plan accordingly. Good luck.
Bob
Blue Skies and Happy Trails.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1