DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting drone license base on being a pilot

DroneCT

Reactions
Was interested in getting my Part 107 drone license. Since I fly for an airline there are procedures
that allow you to get the part 107 without taking the written test as long as you show you did a recent
recurrency or a biennial flight review.
Does anyone have any experience obtaining their Part 107 based on flying for an airline?
Thanks.

Prior information I gave wasn't accurate. No course is required although you would have to take the recurrent training every 24 months.

That said I cannot understand how the could issue a 107 license without having that person demonstrated they understand the regulations specific to flying drones. I say that as a part 61 and 107 pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gagey52
Was interested in getting my Part 107 drone license. Since I fly for an airline there are procedures
that allow you to get the part 107 without taking the written test as long as you show you did a recent
Does anyone have any experience obtaining their Part 107 based on flying for an airline?
Thanks.

If you're current with your BFR you can take this course

Part 107 Small UAS Initial - Part 61 Pilots ALC-451:

Then from that point on you don't have to be current with Part 61 (or higher) and you can just maintain Part 107/RPIC currency with
Part 107 Recurrency ONLINE Module ALC-677

Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

My issue isn’t with the course. I understand I have to take it. Since I don’t do a BFR, I do go to recurrent training under Part 121 once a year. I assume that satisfies the BFR requirement? I asked the local FSDO and all the sent me was the part 61 reg…..

Prior information I gave wasn't accurate. No course is required although you would have to take the recurrent training every 24 months.

That said I cannot understand how the could issue a 107 license without having that person demonstrated they understand the regulations specific to flying drones. I say that as a part 61 and 107 pilot.
Huh? It is a course and training all wrapped up in one nice neat package (just like our Recurrent module is now). You go through the training modules, pass the end of module questions, and when all done you go and take the online test. It's a very UAS specific training to bridge the gap between Manned Aviation and UAS Operations. It absolutely DOES demonstrate UAS Specific knowledge because that's EXACTLY what it's designed to do.

As a "current" Part 61 (or higher) Pilot you have already demonstrated (many times over usually) that you understand Maps, Weather, Aviation Terminology, and so forth. Having a Current Part 61 (or higher) take that over again is an insult and redundant.

Did you not take the online course as well @2edgesword ? It's been this way since Part 107 was introduced in August 2016 for all current Part 61 operators.

Reactions: dart106
My issue isn’t with the course. I understand I have to take it. Since I don’t do a BFR, I do go to recurrent training under Part 121 once a year. I assume that satisfies the BFR requirement? I asked the local FSDO and all the sent me was the part 61 reg…..

Yes that should MORE than cover it. The descriptions are written towards Part 61 but your rating would be more than sufficient as well. Next time you're at the airport go talk with one of the DPE there as one will need to sign off on your RPIC and get you entered into the IACRA to get your credentials confirmed and your test processed in the system.

Yes that should MORE than cover it. The descriptions are written towards Part 61 but your rating would be more than sufficient as well. Next time you're at the airport go talk with one of the DPE there as one will need to sign off on your RPIC and get you entered into the IACRA to get your credentials confirmed and your test processed in the system.
As a long time part 61 pilot, I did as you describe above, except, went to my CFI who signed and submitted my application. My temporary 107 was available via IACR within a couple of hours. My local FSDO was not very knowledgeable about how to transition from part 61 to part 107. So, I did the research and got it done without the “We’re here to help” entity.

Thanks.
I got my 107 via the existing pilot route. I'd been wanting to get my BFR done for a while, and that seemed like the perfect excuse.

I do remember having to take some short on-line quiz, but it was simple. My vague understanding is that if you *don't* go the "existing pilot" route, that you have to take a much more extensive "in person" exam, and I certainly didn't need to do that.

Go for it!

TCS

Just get online. https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/become_a_drone_pilot/
all your questions will be answered. Getting the 107 couldn't be simpler. You do it just like any other rating these days.
Watch the course. Fill out the application. IACRA is best! Take the FTN to anyone of four people including a certified Flight instructor. They will accept your training in lieu of the Flight Review.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks.
Retired Military and Airline pilot here. Very simple and straight forward in comparison. My only issue was calling the local FSDO with a question regarding the application process. With the exception of one guy who was a not a part 61 pilot but pure drone, there was a lack of any expertise. I was able to get help from my CFI in processing the application through IACRA. Overall, pretty simple and straight forward.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys