DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting to grips with the editing...

Scratch83

Reactions
Another attempt taking on some of the advice from my last video. I'm aiming for the lens flare a'la Jerry Bruckheimer as i think its nice with the style of the video.

Reactions: Max67 and wesleydk
First thoughts: visually stunning--what a lovely setting you have. Musical choice worked well I thought as well.

Specifics--
  • at 0:15, watch your framing. You had this gorgeous shot of the Abbey, but you lopped its head off. The flag might have been great in front of the sun like that if only we could have seen it.
  • at 0:38, your top-down is fantastic, but it made me wonder what your rules there about flying over people and moving vehicles, not to mention 800-year old architectural treasures... But a great shot, nonetheless
  • at 1:02, consider taking out the first couple of seconds of that shot: the silhouette of the Abbey is powerful on its own and doesn't need upstaging from Giuseppe's and Scholars. In fact I think that this shot of the Abbey is much more powerful than the earlier decapitated one, and the two of them seem redundant.
  • At 1:27 that is a great ascension shot--great lighting from the windows in the buildings--but consider adding one more element of motion by slowly panning your camera downwards as you climb.
  • Final shot just keeps giving--amazing perspective. Be mindful of speeding up your footage, however, when you have people moving around: it changes the tenor of the shot dramatically.

Possibly a lot more than you really wanted, but lovely work

Reactions: Max67 and Scratch83
First thoughts: visually stunning--what a lovely setting you have. Musical choice worked well I thought as well.

Specifics--
  • at 0:15, watch your framing. You had this gorgeous shot of the Abbey, but you lopped its head off. The flag might have been great in front of the sun like that if only we could have seen it.
  • at 0:38, your top-down is fantastic, but it made me wonder what your rules there about flying over people and moving vehicles, not to mention 800-year old architectural treasures... But a great shot, nonetheless
  • at 1:02, consider taking out the first couple of seconds of that shot: the silhouette of the Abbey is powerful on its own and doesn't need upstaging from Giuseppe's and Scholars. In fact I think that this shot of the Abbey is much more powerful than the earlier decapitated one, and the two of them seem redundant.
  • At 1:27 that is a great ascension shot--great lighting from the windows in the buildings--but consider adding one more element of motion by slowly panning your camera downwards as you climb.
  • Final shot just keeps giving--amazing perspective. Be mindful of speeding up your footage, however, when you have people moving around: it changes the tenor of the shot dramatically.

Possibly a lot more than you really wanted, but lovely work
Not more than i wanted. Exactly what i need...

Another attempt taking on some of the advice from my last video. I'm aiming for the lens flare a'la Jerry Bruckheimer as i think its nice with the style of the video.
First thoughts:
Correct all underexposures. At 35" it is about right.
Didn't much care for the straight down look.
Rising reveal again has huge underexposure issues. What is the important part of the scene? The jumbled foreground buildings or the church? Do you really need all that foreground shot? Why?
Time to show only the good stuff?

You can see what you were trying to do there!

Sorry mate, that lens flair is terrible though! Ironically the light with the sun behind you on the buildings was beautiful, but you elected to use that only sparingly....

Overall, very ‘drony’, shots went for about 70% longer than they needed to, a bit too slow and cliche especially the downward shot of the streets below. Try and find something interesting.

I’ve been critical because you can obviously fix things very easily, starting by not using that lens flair for what seemed like hours! Edit to a beat, don’t just roll around in the sky. Try to avoid those boring downward shots of the street and try and be a bit smoother.

You’re not far off, these a simple things to fix.

Just as well you didn't attempt to call it Bath, Avon. My wife was born there and has NEVER accepted Avon as a county, and if it ever DID exist, Bath was never in it. :)

A lot of visually stunning work there - it's amazing the quality you can get out of something so small. The bit where it's completely black for a few seconds at 1.00 I personally would have not had - just faded between shots. Maybe that's a personal choice though. I can see what you were doing with the lens flare, but the thing about that is it could have been absolutely anywhere - not recognisable as particularly Bath. I tend to agree it was over-used. I would have liked to see more of the gorgeous Bath stone that simply glows at that time of day.

It was an excellent job though :)

The laws in the UK are very clear with regards to flying in built-up areas;

Never fly closer to built-up and busy areas than 150m.

Never fly above these areas at any height.

Examples of built-up and busy areas:

CITIES & Towns

Without permission and a PfCO license these are illegal flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s