DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal (again)

JeanVos

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I crashed my MP a few months ago and I am still having issues with the Gimbal and get the "Gimbal overload`" message every now and then. It also hits the frame on startup. I have checked everything and replaced the plate and rubber bands as well as the little L-bracket in the back. This was broken after the crash. I have not changed the cable as it seems fine? Also, the camera and gimbal does not seem to jam or anything and it is fine most of the time. Hitting the frame on startup cannot be normal. I am in South Africa and it will be difficult to send for repairs, but I can "manage" some repairs. Should I change the cable? It seems to be ok, but if not which one should I get. There are quite a few on Amazon and eBay. The local DJI guys here do not want to sell as a "spare"...

Regards
Jean

Hello JeanVos. Your issue is a difficult to diagnose since it works "fine most of the time". What I know about the flat ribbon cable is that it can crack after prolonged use, and replacing it is a bit of a challenge due to the way it is bent and routed. If you do replace the flat ribbon cable, I suggest taking plenty of photos and watching a few YouTube videos beforehand.

I replaced a flat ribbon cable after an overheating issue, only to discover that the board was bad. Had I known, I could have saved myself a lot of headache as the board is much easier to replace.

A word of caution if you change the board. Be extra careful when lifting the upper cover off. The GPS unit is located in the aft of the upper cover, yet it plugs into the main board via a very short and delicate pigtail. One YouTuber simply pulls the plug out by lifting the upper cover. NOT a good idea. I've broken 2 GPS units, The second one (even though I reached in between the cover and disconnected the plug) broke simply from my removing the cover several times. It seems that the tiny wires and solder joints are just not robust enough to be flexed.

Probably not much help but hope you get it fixed. The banging certainly isn't normal. Hopefully some other posts can narrow down the problem

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wiz4rd