DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal doesn't move after crash

Warrior1

Reactions
First crash! Flying line of sight and forgot my drone orientation and hit some tree branches. Camera works and all seems fine except I get a "Overload" error and it says to check if the gimbal clamp/lock is removed. Gimbal pieces appear to be in place and the camera itself works. When I tried to auto calibrate the gimbal nothing happens, the gimbal doesn't move and calibration indicator stays at 5% until it times out. Ribbon seems to be in place. I just placed orders for an oem and third party ribbon cable as I have read on this forum thats the usual suspect.

Any other methods to diagnose?

Be careful taking the ribbon out and putting it back in. It's very easy to bend or break a connector pin on a board, then you're talking about more serious money for the repair.

Dont pinch the cable, or nick it in any way. Even a small cut can cause it to malfunction.

If you see smoke coming from the gimbal after the new ribbon cable is installed, pull the battery out asap.

Reactions: Warrior1
Be careful taking the ribbon out and putting it back in. It's very easy to bend or break a connector pin on a board, then you're talking about more serious money for the repair.

Dont pinch the cable, or nick it in any way. Even a small cut can cause it to malfunction.

If you see smoke coming from the gimbal after the new ribbon cable is installed, pull the battery out asap.

Thank you for the word of caution. From what I read your services are stellar. Whats a typical turn around time for to replace a ribbon?

Thank you for the word of caution. From what I read your services are stellar. Whats a typical turn around time for to replace a ribbon?

DIY might take 2 - 3 hours the first time you do it.

I can turn around a ribbon repair in 2-3 days and I also inspect the drone from top to bottom for anything else that you might not see.

I had a similar problem last year when a small pine tree jumped in front of my Mavic. All seemed OK except the gimbal Motor alarm during the start-up self test. I spent some time moving the gimbal and camera manually until I found that the camera was rubbing against the black metal gimbal mounting plate. If you examine that plate you will see that there is a notch on one side that allows the side of the camera some clearance when it is moving. Check to see if there is some binding when you move the camera manually. If it binding then you can insert a screwdriver between the side of the camera and the black mounting plate and gently rotate the screwdriver to regain the needed clearance between the camera and plate. The side of the camera to which I am referring is the slightly domed part with two screws that can be seen clearly when you manually tilt the camera so that the lens is facing straight down. If you make the screwdriver adjustment that I mentioned the camera lens should be facing straight forward. I hope this works for you as it did for me. It's also a lot cheaper and less involved that having to remove or repair the gimbal assembly. One last thing... a little torque with the screwdriver goes a long way.

If it binding then you can insert a screwdriver between the side of the camera and the black mounting plate and gently rotate the screwdriver to regain the needed clearance between the camera and plate.

This a good suggestion, but the word "gently" needs to be emphasized. 1/8" rotation too far will snap the plate off at the 2 holding screws and probably take your ribbon cable with it.

heyy! do u repair drones? i need my mavic mini fixed :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000