DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

gimbal erratic

sparkycat

Reactions
My mavic was fine no issues ..fired her up today and the finals going crazy...thought a replacements needed...tried everything..recalibrate gimbal..didn't work..reied firing up while mavic on right side...didn't work..reflashed firmware...didn't work...was resigned to getting a replacement gimbal...was packing it away with battery still in and drone was upside down...thought I'll give it one last go...fired up and hey presto gumball centred after initialisation..been behaving since...very strange

Light bulb just came on. If you turned it upside down to pack it up, and then tried it again and it worked, Im guessing you have a loose connector somewhere, probably your gimbal ribbon cable, or on your gimbal PCB.

Next time it does that, gently shake the drone and see if you can force that issue to happen. That will tell you if something is loose. Just shake it a little bit, not any more than a flight would shake it.

Yeah....cant see why though...its never crashed...could be loose though...tried it right way up since.. all good...only thing I did was to factory reset it before firmware flashing...something I've never done before and I did recalibrate the gimbal while it was being erratic....in between erratic episodes...seemed to be every 30 seconds or so, the gimbal just hung there like there was no power...odd then it would throw a tantrum and be all over the place and again just hang...on the dji app it said gimbal overload..so there was power to it

Yeah....cant see why though...its never crashed...could be loose though...tried it right way up since.. all good...only thing I did was to factory reset it before firmware flashing...something I've never done before and I did recalibrate the gimbal while it was being erratic....in between erratic episodes...seemed to be every 30 seconds or so, the gimbal just hung there like there was no power...odd then it would throw a tantrum and be all over the place and again just hang...on the dji app it said gimbal overload..so there was power to it

Could also be that your ribbon cable is on the way out.

Its really strange that erratic gimbals and gimbal ribbon cable problems show up quite often after firmware updates. There is a correlation, but havent figured it out yet. I get many repairs from people that had the same problem as you, everything was fine until the FW update. Then I install a new gimbal ribbon, and all is fine again.

Is the ribbon hard to do...I'm handy with screwdriver and so forth...would be happy to take the bird apart...I've taken ps4 and xbox ones apart before and replaced the laser unit in them both.takung apart the bluray units to do so..so like to think I've got some dexterity

sadly ..tried it this morning....back to erratic behaviour...its every 20 seconds... anyone know

edit...went and ordered a ribbon from amazon....coming tomorrow...disassembling as i write this... wish me luck...if its not this then...probs a new gimbal...and maybe some gumballs as a treat

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvt
sadly ..tried it this morning....back to erratic behaviour...its every 20 seconds... anyone know

edit...went and ordered a ribbon from amazon....coming tomorrow...disassembling as i write this... wish me luck...if its not this then...probs a new gimbal...and maybe some gumballs as a treat
Good luck,keep us all informed of your progress and outcome

Reactions: Former Member

I'm feeling your pain, bro! My "gumball" started misbehaving EXACTLY like your "gumball" yesterday morning! Took the bird up for some pre-dawn photography, flew through a battery, landed, installed second battery for another flight...and the demon-possessed "gumball" went into fits and seizures!

Indeed. It was out of the blue..one minute it's fine the next ..well you know the story..got the bird all stripped down...was easy to do .just waiting for the ribbon coming today20190527_110217.jpeg

.also seen videos of someone shaving this bit off as it catches the ribbon and this is your culprit ...must admit I'm tempted..makes senseScreenshot_20190527-110713_Gallery.jpeg

Reactions: Northern_Bob
Thanks for the photo. It makes it clear that this triangular protrusion could indeed catch the cable causing problems.
Doesn’t appear to be a motion stop tab so should be safe to file down.
NB

Hi...on closer inspection..its not possible as the ridge is part of the casing shape...anyhow..with much toil and heart in my mouth and over 2 hours later...its installed and working...going out this evening to try her out...I've got plenty of time as I got an arthroscopy 8 days ago and had my lateral and medial meniscus shaved a bit...knees a bit sore but ok...let's hope I dont crash in a tree or something...cheers for all the followers of this thread ..its been a good learning curve..oh and I looked at dozens of videos on how to do the ribbon part..always seems they were either out of focus...going too fast or slightly off camera..lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet