DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal freezing?

cameraz

Reactions
Last night I decided to head downtown and see if there were any decent Christmas decorations worth photographing with my Mini. The temperature was about 34 F, and according to my UAV Forecast app, wind gusts were 13 mph at 100 feet. Not too bad, I thought.
But it never dawned on me that at 75 and 100 feet up, the temperature might have been a bit colder.
Well, after about 10 minutes of flying, I got an error message saying that my gimbal was "overloaded." I didn't have any filters on it or anything, so I couldn't understand why I got that message.
I landed my drone, and moved the gimbal around with my hand, but it just didn't feel as loose as it usually is. But even after moving the camera around in all directions, the gimbal warning message wouldn't go away. So I called it a night and headed for home.
Back inside my warm house, I moved the gimbal around some more and it seemed to turn more freely. I powered up the Mini, and the gimbal and camera worked perfectly.

Btw, do any of you wear gloves while flying? Because my hands were freezing! My brother says he has some photographer's gloves, where you can uncover one finger at a time. I may have to get some. :)

This supports my comment in another recent thread about "flying in winter". You were already flying close to the Mini spec (32 degrees F), and the temperature gradient with altitude is unpredictable--especially at night (no thermal boost from sunlight). Bottom line: based on my experience with delicate electronics, I wouldn't fly close to either end of the temperature spec. For the record, the MA2 temperature spec extends quite a bit lower (well into the teens).

Reactions: cameraz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N