DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal not as happy as it once was :/

Frontman

Reactions
No crash, but the gimbal support did fall off at some point in the case, and I was riding an ATV around and I'm sure it got it's fair share of bouncing around.

Now, when I turn on the Mavic, it goes through a longer than normal gimbal calibration, and sometimes it just points to the sky and is out of focus. So, I power cycle the drone and sometimes it comes back alive okay and I can fly. It also has done the tweak out thing while in the sky, going into a non focused mode and I have to land and do the reset.

Mavic gurus, is there something I can fix/repair/inspect myself? Thanks!

I just upgraded firmware a few minutes ago, went for a test flight and no issues. I'll keep you posted after flying tomorrow, thx!

Reactions: Bernie707
After many browsing of threads, it appears that the problem is in fact the ribbon cable on the gimbal. Oh joy. Ordered off Amazon for $20, viewed several replacement videos on YouTube, and repair happens next week so I'll keep you posted.

Best of luck with the repair, just take your time, and take breaks as needed, looks like it requires patience.

Last edited:
Okay friends, the Gimbal Ribbon was definitely the culprit. Kinda a bummer because there was no crash, just rough riding in the protective case with the Gimbal lock in place etc. You would not think that it would be enough to damage a ribbon cable, but it is. If anyone is interested in sending me their drone for ribbon replacement PM me. My technician at my cellular store did the repair, now he is versed in yet another field lol! He's been working on phones for almost a decade, now he's a drone tech too :)

Thanks for all the responses. I also did eventually find the other threads on the Gimbal where I did a lot of reading as well. Good luck, and be safe out there!

Reactions: tracer bullet
If you're in the U.S. or don't mind shipping internationally, @Thunderdrones repairs gimbals and just about anything else on Mavics and other drones. He has reasonable prices and tons of experience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent