DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal repair help (Overload error after small crash)

shellby

Reactions
Hello everyone.

I want to repair my gimbal which has an overload error after a small crash into grass. And also the gimbal seems to be N/A in the App's status. Also can't calibrate because there are no gimbal settings anymore.
I teared it down completely now and was looking for a ribbon cable, because I heard this one could be broken. But I found no one.
I found:
- a flat cable connecting gimbal to the drone - > it looks fine
- a round signal cable, I teard the gimbal completely down and could see that this cable also seems to be fine
- and 3 motors with flat cables.

Now I am clueless which part could be broken :( and don't know which part to buy and replace ? Everything looks good for me. Could someone help me. Thank you so much. Shellby

I have just some pictures of the gimbal parts now cause I already disassembled the gimbal hoping to find a broken cable. My former problems were:
When starting the gimbal turned in a circle like crazy, stopped while pointing to the back of the drone and the overload error showed up. Gimbal status in the app said:'--' and gimbal settings didn't show up. The video was still working. Here are pictures how my parts look like. IMG_20200908_104730.jpgIMG_20200908_104817.jpgIMG_20200908_104829.jpgIMG_20200908_104755.jpg

Reactions: TreeHugger
That's a lot to take apart :)
I've got one in the same condition and just received the fix today. See here for an OK Ebay seller
I was able to determine my "main cable" that connects from the back of the camera to the circuit board was definitely bad due to broken wire. Problem was one of the "press fit" connectors had a bad pin too.

I'm guessing that your gimbal did not move at all on power-up? You know - the startup routine where it twists itself in all possible direction of movement? Sort of, there are two separate circuits - one just for the camera (Round Cable} - the other controlling the gimbal motors (Flat / Ribbon cable).
If your gimbal moved around at power-on then that might be a clue.

Hey thanks a lot for your answer,
This is awesome you found the problem and could fix it, I hope I can fix mine :)
I also thought to buy a new gimbal on ebay, but didn't order yet.
The gimbal moved around at power on , but stopped at a wrong position and I couldn't calibrate because gimbal status was not available and the settings icon was gone :(.
My main cable seems to be ok, and the flat cables look fine for me but I am not a mechanic so I am not sure. Could maybe one of the motors just be damaged?
Maybe I'll just order the gimbal and then test out

so - my gimbal moved around at power-on
and I got a video and could also focus the camera

but couldnt controll the gimbal or even calibrate :/

Well - sounds like the camera cable may be OK. The flat cable + motor(s) are left to be suspect.
But really, who knows - it's not like normal people have the ability to actually test those cables / motors.
Just doesn't seem right after only a small crash where no plastic was broken.
Good luck!

Shellby
When you say the gimbal turned like crazy and ended pointing backwards, do you mean the gimbal turned through one complete circle and more.
If it turned through a complete rotation then the yaw motor was hanging too low and was missing the stop.
The yaw motor should not be able to complete a revolution and the camera should never quite be able to point backwards.
Looking closely at your image of the back of the yaw motor it does look like the PTZ cable has been twisted.

You might need a new PTZ cable. They are not too expensive.

Try reassembly first.
Remove the PTZ cable from the centre of the yaw motor. Pull it back through towards the roll motor side and leave it loose.
Carefully thread the yaw motor ribbon cable (check the ribbon cable and connector first) through the slot in the gimbal vibration board whilst locating and fixing the yaw motor in place. Tighten the three screws.
It is possible to overtighten the yaw motor screws or not enough which is probably why yours danced around and around.
Check that the yaw motor cannot complete a circle and that the movement from stop to stop is free. (No grinding binding or catching on the gimbal vibration board.)
Check the connector and socket on the back of the gimbal board is not damaged.
Make the connection of the ribbon cable on the back of the gimbal board whilst lowering the board into place. Fix the board in place with the four screws.
Now push the PTZ cable connector back through the central hole. Connect the PTZ cable back on the board and replace the cover plate.
Now check again that the yaw motor turns freely from stop to stop without catching anywhere.
You now need to wipe the blue thermal paste off your fingers and complete the rebuild.

Yes, the gimbal made more than one round. As I ordered a new complete gimbal, it is working fine now and I don't really know which was the damaged part. Thank you anyway. Hopefully the thread will help some others having similar problems :)

Yes, the gimbal made more than one round. As I ordered a new complete gimbal, it is working fine now and I don't really know which was the damaged part. Thank you anyway. Hopefully the thread will help some others having similar problems :)
Thanks for your reply. I did not notice that it was an old post.
Well you have nothing to loose by trying a rebuild and having a spare gimbal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54