DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal yaw stabilization not working during flight?

paulatkin73

Reactions
Hi,

I am very confused and need to clarify how it is supposed to work.
When i power up my M2P and hold it in my hand, and perform any rotation of the drone around yaw axis, even very slow - i see how gimbal slowly 'catches up' with the body smoothing up this movement`s transition. It does same if you tilt or roll - it stabilizes the horizon while smoothing up yaw rotation.

Now, sa i power it up and fly it, in any mode, and give a yaw input to rotate the drone`s body - i did it looking very closely at the drone and i am **** sure it seems to rotate the whole gimbal assembly WITH the body not smoothing that yaw input i give. in the video it results with a 'jerking' movement, i think.

i am not sure 100% of what happens in there. if you have a zoom or pro mavic 2 and you lift it up in P mode and give left and right yaw input looking at gimbal closely - do you see how it moves - with the body or, how it should be, a bit 'behind' the rotation and then 'catching up' - or not? is there a setting for that?

thx, Paul.

i just went outside and froze my fingers trying to experiment and got even more confused. what it appears to be doing is quite odd. if i alter gimbal pitch from the horizon at least a tiny bit down - it seems to be rotating with the body, always. if i then flip a switch moving gimbal 90deg up or down and THEN do a yaw input - i can see how it begins to add a tiny bit of a rotational delay similar to what it is doing when i hold it in my hand - powered up but not flying.
gimbal is set in follow mode all the time, i tried turning on cinematic mode on and off - it does not seem to be making any difference.
would be very nice to know if this is a defect of my unit or the way all those mavics work as it is not how a pro grade gimbal should operate, at all. i only hope i do not setup something right.

Hi,

I am very confused and need to clarify how it is supposed to work.
When i power up my M2P and hold it in my hand, and perform any rotation of the drone around yaw axis, even very slow - i see how gimbal slowly 'catches up' with the body smoothing up this movement`s transition. It does same if you tilt or roll - it stabilizes the horizon while smoothing up yaw rotation.

Now, sa i power it up and fly it, in any mode, and give a yaw input to rotate the drone`s body - i did it looking very closely at the drone and i am **** sure it seems to rotate the whole gimbal assembly WITH the body not smoothing that yaw input i give. in the video it results with a 'jerking' movement, i think.

i am not sure 100% of what happens in there. if you have a zoom or pro mavic 2 and you lift it up in P mode and give left and right yaw input looking at gimbal closely - do you see how it moves - with the body or, how it should be, a bit 'behind' the rotation and then 'catching up' - or not? is there a setting for that?

thx, Paul.
in camera setting on the app screen there are settings that allow you to adjust how the camera moves and stops during the yaw movement study the manual and you will see how to do it i cant be more specific that that as i do not own a mavic2 and do not want to give you wrong info

in camera setting on the app screen there are settings that allow you to adjust how the camera moves and stops during the yaw movement study the manual and you will see how to do it i cant be more specific that that as i do not own a mavic2 and do not want to give you wrong info
there is nothing there. not sure what are you talking about. what exact section is that?

there is nothing there. not sure what are you talking about. what exact section is that?
as i said i dont own a mav2 but the settings refer to yaw endpoint it allows you to set how fast the gimbal starts and stops during yaw also in expo settings you can slow down the rotation speed of the yaw on my mav i have set my expo to 0.15 for yaw to give a slow yaw which is nicer when viewed

as i said i dont own a mav2 but the settings refer to yaw endpoint it allows you to set how fast the gimbal starts and stops during yaw also in expo settings you can slow down the rotation speed of the yaw on my mav i have set my expo to 0.15 for yaw to give a slow yaw which is nicer when viewed
it is not there.
dunno, a screenshot would help. there are settings in the gimbal screen that control gimbal pitch speed and stabilization. no problem there.
in the aircraft settings there are yaw sensitivity and limits - those got nothing to do with the gimbal control, those control aircraft movements.
in the camera settings go4 app there is a 'lock gimbal while shooting' - it has 0 effect, it seems only lock gimbal in the same direction during extra long shots.

what i observe is this - when powered on and moved by hand, gimbal acts as it should, perfectly smoothing jerks of the body around yaw axis.
when it is in flight it seems to be completely stopping doing it by default, again, if gimbal moved 90deg down and then up - it seems to be starting doing a little tiny bit of it, then stops again.

it would be very helpful to hear from somebody who actually owns this same craft and knows how exactly it supposed to work.

it is not there.
dunno, a screenshot would help. there are settings in the gimbal screen that control gimbal pitch speed and stabilization. no problem there.
in the aircraft settings there are yaw sensitivity and limits - those got nothing to do with the gimbal control, those control aircraft movements.
in the camera settings go4 app there is a 'lock gimbal while shooting' - it has 0 effect, it seems only lock gimbal in the same direction during extra long shots.

what i observe is this - when powered on and moved by hand, gimbal acts as it should, perfectly smoothing jerks of the body around yaw axis.
when it is in flight it seems to be completely stopping doing it by default, again, if gimbal moved 90deg down and then up - it seems to be starting doing a little tiny bit of it, then stops again.

it would be very helpful to hear from somebody who actually owns this same craft and knows how exactly it supposed to work.

Check out this video

Actually, I think he was on the forum the other day.

Reactions: old man mavic
there is more to it, but, bottom line is - if anybody uses PC on Windows 10 - get a latest VLC build 4.0 - a nightly build - it shows 4K 10bit files with less stutter. gimbal apparently is not parametrized and works as it it works and produces smooth footage. when editied or watched on the windows 10 it may be showing stuttering in the pan scenes - it is a codec issue and you need to check those files on the regular 4K tv to make sure it is not the SD card, not the gimbal, not the stick input, etc.
it is just a sucky windows 10.

there is more to it, but, bottom line is - if anybody uses PC on Windows 10 - get a latest VLC build 4.0 - a nightly build - it shows 4K 10bit files with less stutter. gimbal apparently is not parametrized and works as it it works and produces smooth footage. when editied or watched on the windows 10 it may be showing stuttering in the pan scenes - it is a codec issue and you need to check those files on the regular 4K tv to make sure it is not the SD card, not the gimbal, not the stick input, etc.
it is just a sucky windows 10.
well that explains that then

well that explains that then
to the level, yes.

i still do not like what they did to the gimbal. they could have allowed for the yaw EXP to be adjustable (same as done for the pitch) so you would control the level/speed of reaction to the body rotation, as in some windy condition or jerking rotations if gimbal is hardwired to follow the body you will not get proper smoothness, but, again, it is not a bug, it is a feature and amen to that.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic