DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Golf Course & helicopter

Joe Herrera

Reactions
Site
www.engagingfilm.com
Yesterday, I parked in an empty lot next to a golf course. The community has a security gate and I'm not a member. A wall of trees divides the lot from the golf course. As I was prepping my drone, a helicopter flew out from the direction of the golf course. It was low, just clearing the trees. It was a private helicopter, so I imagine it was someone from the golf community. I'm glad it flew over before I launched. I packed up the drone and went somewhere else. Anyone have a similar experience?

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
What country are you located in?
Luckily I've not had those experiences as yet although there have been times I am want to launch the drone then spot a plane .. difficult to tell heights.

Yesterday, I parked in an empty lot next to a golf course. The community has a security gate and I'm not a member. A wall of trees divides the lot from the golf course. As I was prepping my drone, a helicopter flew out from the direction of the golf course. It was low, just clearing the trees. It was a private helicopter, so I imagine it was someone from the golf community. I'm glad it flew over before I launched. I packed up the drone and went somewhere else. Anyone have a similar experience?
Here in Miami there are many instances of low flying aircraft (mostly helicopters). They are totally unpredictable. Sometimes they are police or coast guard. I have flown in these areas often, usually at my preferred altitude of about 60-80 feet but luckily, no low flying aircraft occurred during those flights. I think it is just luck that my drone has not been up there where they fly over our club tennis court, or park, where I might have been flying in previous days. For these low flying brief flights of about 30 seconds of footage, I have occasionally used the LAANC app but much of the time I forget it.

In my small community we have 4 golf courses and 2 of them have a VERY active heli pads for clients/owners. It's only been a couple of years since we had the pleasure of seeing an AH-64 Apache helicopter land and power down on the fairway of one of the courses. One of the occupants was a retiring aviator and his parents have a home on the course and he had coordinated with the golf course to surprise his parents with his final flight as an Army Pilot to land and say HELLO!

Golf Courses usually mean big $$ so it's not shocking to see a helo low & slow around them.

Reactions: okw and GFields
I love the ABS system for this reason

Hi all, I was flying around the farm at the back of our place recently when a small plane shot Across the next paddock dropping fertiliser! I reeled the mini in real quick!

Member has his location listed in his description section under Avatar...just as yours is ;)
Yes, but the location just says "Georgia", which still leaves open the question of whether it's the one closer to the UK or the distant one. I would guess it's the distant one (the state, not the country), but the question is reasonable.

Reactions: okw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569