DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gonna try it sport mode next time

Tim40

Reactions
I tried putting my M2Z through a spot I fly my 5" FPV drones through regularly - I fly up the hill, under the trees, then up between the roof and the trees and out over the house. Had my sensors on - as I was curious. But they actually trapped me - I saw my opening, between roof and treetops - it was narrow - but enough - so I made for it, and was close - when - darn - I couldn't go forward through the opening ... the sensors not only were warning me (I was use to that) but they wouldn't let me proceed - weird feeling to push on the stick and nothing happens - so I had to find another, unplanned, path out, or retrace the path I'd taken in - didn't work- I caught something - and went down - no damage luckly - so overgrown in there. But next time - I'll do it sport mode. The sensors are a liability if you want to get in close to something. Useful sensors would only kick in inches from what you were hovering near. And just not let your props make contact - but give you all that space to fly in. The current sensors are not made for close proximity work. Oh well. On to sport mode.

Reactions: slozukimc
Why not switch the sensors off?
It's easy enough to switch them on/off, touch the symbol in the top or drag it down etc. then make your choice, so I tend to switch it off when it's not needed.
Or look in the menus.
If you are accustomed to flying with them on just be sure to switch them back on after you are through the tunnel.

That's probably safe than trying it in sports mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not switch the sensors off?
It's easy enough to switch them on/off, touch the symbol in the top or drag it down etc. then make your choice, so I tend to switch it off when it's not needed.
Or look in the menus.
If you are accustomed to flying with them on just be sure to switch them back on after you are through the tunnel.

That's probably safe than trying it in sports mode.
Thx - hadn't thought of that. So sport mode is sensors off but with more speed then (and no position hold)? I might prefer that - as I'm use to flying FPV quads. The M2Z has such a good camera - but I hadn't been flying it - because of the sensors, actually - as I like to thread the canopy, and fly the paths and caverns under the trees - and those sensors started screaming any time I'd get close - to anything. But - that's all I got to fly in actually - a well treed 3 acres on a hill.

Thx - hadn't thought of that. So sport mode is sensors off but with more speed then (and no position hold)? I might prefer that - as I'm use to flying FPV quads. The M2Z has such a good camera - but I hadn't been flying it - because of the sensors, actually - as I like to thread the canopy, and fly the paths and caverns under the trees - and those sensors started screaming any time I'd get close - to anything. But - that's all I got to fly in actually - a well treed 3 acres on a hill.
It still has position hold in sport mode as long as you have a good GPS signal.

Reactions: Tim40 and slozukimc
(.........and no position hold........)
wrong, position hold works in sports mode, from GPS and from memory VPS, i.e. I think the downward looking sensors work.

In tunnels of any sort you run the risk of loosing GPS, if that occurs AND if the overall lighting is dim and if the drone DOES NOT switch the bottom light on then the drone is likely to switch to the ATTI (or whatever the relevant name is) flight mode where you have NO POSITION holding and need to be familiar with that style of flying.

Reactions: Tim40
wrong, position hold works in sports mode, from GPS and from memory VPS, i.e. I think the downward looking sensors work.

In tunnels of any sort you run the risk of loosing GPS, if that occurs AND if the overall lighting is dim and if the drone DOES NOT switch the bottom light on then the drone is likely to switch to the ATTI (or whatever the relevant name is) flight mode where you have NO POSITION holding and need to be familiar with that style of flying.
Ok, thanks - I'll have to research it more so I know what i got before I take off - when i move the SC switch over to S from P. Maybe read the manual. I typically never lose GPS in the foliage, but for me, flying with or without position hold isn't a problem. However, the downward sensors would thwart my plan - possibly forcing me up into something. Must be a way to turn em off.

enter the obstacle avoidance menu, scroll down to and enter "advanced setting", disable 2nd entry and perhaps the first enter

Heck, be bold, go into sport mode and fly as fast as you can and them branches won't be stopping yer bullet any more...

enter the obstacle avoidance menu, scroll down to and enter "advanced setting", disable 2nd entry and perhaps the first enter
Is that setting in DJI Fly? It's in the older Go apps, but can't say I've seen it in Fly.

I haven't seen it when using either of the minis and I can't remember if it is available with the FPV (if the FPV goggles use the FLY app). A phone has no menu access with the FPV.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC