DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Grangemouth's Industrial Landscape

Coconut Island Drones

Reactions
Grangemouth's Industrial Landscape (Scotland). A drone flight around some of Grangemouth's major industrial sites. Taking in the main oil refinery, the docks, the Kinneil & KG plants as well as the Versalis rubber plant. Regardless of personal opinions of sites like these the simple fact is we all rely heavily on what they manufacture. Although there were no flight restrictions over any of these sites and perfectly legal to fly directly over them I chose not to do that and got all my shots from the perimeters instead. Hope you enjoy.

Another good video

Interesting views of this area. It's maybe not the most photogenic thing, but definitely interesting from a technical perspective! I've taken some cool time exposure photos at night of the refinery from before drones were really a thing. Next challenge is to get some shots of the area when it is all lit up :)

I used a similar approach to doing some videos of a ship I was doing some work with. I asked the port authorities about flying/filming in the port area and their response was that any flight had to be in the specific category. That's total overkill for what I was intending to do - I actually think their drones policy was based on the old superceded regs, which would have required the operation to be in the specific category. Instead of jumping through all the hoops for getting paperwork in place for a specific category flight I just flew outside the perimeter of the port area and, ironically, got better shots of the ship than I would have if flying in/over the port area itself. In contrast, another nearby port where I have done a few drone flights have a far more pragmatic and drone-friendly approach. This second port were supplied with the flight plan, risk assessment etc, and a few nice free aerial photos as a result. Both flights were completely legal, but at least the more cooperative port got to be involved and aware of the flight.

Interesting views of this area. It's maybe not the most photogenic thing, but definitely interesting from a technical perspective! I've taken some cool time exposure photos at night of the refinery from before drones were really a thing. Next challenge is to get some shots of the area when it is all lit up :)

I used a similar approach to doing some videos of a ship I was doing some work with. I asked the port authorities about flying/filming in the port area and their response was that any flight had to be in the specific category. That's total overkill for what I was intending to do - I actually think their drones policy was based on the old superceded regs, which would have required the operation to be in the specific category. Instead of jumping through all the hoops for getting paperwork in place for a specific category flight I just flew outside the perimeter of the port area and, ironically, got better shots of the ship than I would have if flying in/over the port area itself. In contrast, another nearby port where I have done a few drone flights have a far more pragmatic and drone-friendly approach. This second port were supplied with the flight plan, risk assessment etc, and a few nice free aerial photos as a result. Both flights were completely legal, but at least the more cooperative port got to be involved and aware of the flight.
For as long as I can remember this refinery has put out the myth that it can't be photographed or video'd from anywhere, even 2 miles away. I worked there for a long time and remember seeing the police approaching a couple of guys on a hill about a mile away because they were taking pics with professional cameras. Security had spotted them and called the police. As I said I worked there in a technical aspect for many years and do know the dangers involved in flying directly over and that's why I made a choice to stick to the perimeter. The danger is small but if the drone was to cause a reaction with something accidently venting to the atmoshere (which does happen more regularly than you'd think) the results would be catastrophic for the refinery, those working in it and the surrounding area.

Reactions: scro
Another great video! Frankly, I never imagined industrial operations on this scale in Scotland. Very well done and a good illustration of taking a look from the outside looking in or across the subject. Much easier for us to process than a straight down approach. Thanks for sharing.

Another great video! Frankly, I never imagined industrial operations on this scale in Scotland. Very well done and a good illustration of taking a look from the outside looking in or across the subject. Much easier for us to process than a straight down approach. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2