DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harriman State Park - Perkins Memorial Drive: No Drones Sign

Supernootz

Reactions
This is a beautiful overlook with direct view of the Bear Mountain Bridge and Hudson River. A wonder of scenery. But at the base of the road that leads up the mountain is a sign that says No Drones. Anyone know what the reason is? I wonder if it's because of hawks or eagles in the area.

And since the NYS Park Police patrol the area, I assume they would enforce this rule, but I don't think it's a law. What would the penalty be if caught flying?

This is a beautiful overlook with direct view of the Bear Mountain Bridge and Hudson River. A wonder of scenery. But at the base of the road that leads up the mountain is a sign that says No Drones. Anyone know what the reason is? I wonder if it's because of hawks or eagles in the area.

And since the NYS Park Police patrol the area, I assume they would enforce this rule, but I don't think it's a law. What would the penalty be if caught flying?

"The launch, landing, and operation of UAS is allowed in state parks and historic sites only with prior written approval by the agency through a permit authorizing the specific time, location and type of use"

Source: https://parks.ny.gov/documents/insi...aftSystemsDronesModelAirplanesQuadCopters.pdf

Also see Drone Use On DEC Managed Lands

"The launch, landing, and operation of UAS is allowed in state parks and historic sites only with prior written approval by the agency through a permit authorizing the specific time, location and type of use"

Source: https://parks.ny.gov/documents/insi...aftSystemsDronesModelAirplanesQuadCopters.pdf

Also see Drone Use On DEC Managed Lands
Since that's the case, why don't they have signs like this at the entrance to the state park itself. This is just one scenic spot.

Since that's the case, why don't they have signs like this at the entrance to the state park itself. This is just one scenic spot.
Obviously they are trying to stop drone pilots for flying and filming in that particular area. Anytime you see something like this, you know they're b.s.:

"Just as the sound and sight of drones can be disruptive to wildlife, they can also disturb other users on the trail, summit, or wherever you are flying. Drones alter the natural wilderness experience that many seek in nature and can make users feel like their privacy has been invaded. Before flying your drone be sure the location is clear of people or speak to everyone around and receive permission and approval to fly your drone nearby. Keep in mind that flying drones around others could lead to potential penal law violations such as harassment or invasion of privacy."

Why not be the first one to challenge this and take it to court if you have to?

Otherwise, I would pay attention to this and see if it is applicable to you:

"OPRHP’s statute, regulations, this new procedure and permits shall apply only to a UAS launched from within OPRHP-controlled property. A UAS that is launched from outside of OPRHP property but flown over OPRHP-controlled property is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA”) and adjacent landowners."

Reactions: CadrePilot
Because they want to discourage the use of drones at that location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916