DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has Anyone Ever Had A Mid Air Collision With Another Drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
For the last three months, I've been working on a "How To" video for flying and filming another drone. It should be released in a week or so (stupid Michigan weather!). No mid-air collisions... yet!.

A flying drone can be the featured subject of an entire video. Also, clips of a flying drone can also
be used as cut-away shots to provide context and add drama to landscape and location videos.

Here's what I found for an M2P and an MPP flying in formation:
1) For reasons pointed out in previous posts, it is extremely difficult, but it can be done, and done safely.
2) Two pilots are needed for safety, but not necessarily for primary control. For totally manual flight, it is best to have one pilot control both drones simultaneously, while the other pilot takes over one of the drones in case of a hazardous situation. I have built a special platform for single pilot control. Manual formation flying within 4 to 8 feet can be done with some practice.
3) The best option for prolonged formation flight is to have one or both drones utilize an intelligent flight mode. I have successfully used ActiveTrack, POI, TapFly, and Quickshots.
4) The easiest way to maintain close proximity (4 to 8 feet) and get good framing is to use ActiveTrack - Spotlight. Follow and Profile DO NOT WORK due to excessive gain.
5) Don't fly in any significant wind. Too much drift and bouncing around. The shots will look awful.

I have a lot more explanation, details and examples in my video to come...
Or you can just do one of these...

Attachments

• IMG_0429a.jpg
    IMG_0429a.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member