DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDMI Output Questions

Kmc0929

Reactions
Looking for a second monitor to use in the field. IE) I need a second person looking at the second monitor while I’m flying looking at the smart controller. Most of the small portable monitors are designed to be used with laptops, they have to have a USB power source.

So with that said, can I simply use a Mac or Windows laptop as a secondary display?

Meaning - HDMI from the Smart Controller into the Laptop, what happens? Would the laptop display what is on the smart controller?

What does everyone suggest? I’m sure this is a pretty common request for folks using these drones out in the woods / field.

Unlikely. most laptops that have an HDMI port is for video output to second display, not video input. However, if you find one with HDMI input, please,let us know.

Maybe try the displays that Require USB power and power with a USB Power Brick or try some goggles with HDMI input as a source such as the DJI Goggles OG or RE model.

Monitors such as the one linked below might be suitable (7", 2200 nit, $250 or so) have HDMI input and run of DC about 7 to 24 volts.
https://www.amazon.com/FEELWORLD-Br...tor+hdmi&qiMd=1583904524&s=electronics&sr=1-5
MacBooks with a thunder bolt port will accept and display a converted HDMI signal. A BlackMagic recorder ($149 at B&H) accepted the HDMI signal from a monitor and created a Thunderbolt feed into the Mac. The free BlackMagic software captured the signal just fine and allowed recording on the Mac. This setup was used in an operating to room to do just exactly what you are asking for. No power required for the little convertor.

Unlikely. most laptops that have an HDMI port is for video output to second display, not video input. However, if you find one with HDMI input, please,let us know.
MacBooks with a thunder bolt port will accept and display a converted HDMI signal. A BlackMagic recorder ($149 at B&H) accepted the HDMI signal from a monitor and created a Thunderbolt feed into the Mac. The free BlackMagic software captured the signal just fine and allowed recording on the Mac. This setup was used in an operating to room to do just exactly what you are asking for. No power required for the little convertor.

But, does the MacBooks have a bright enough display to be usable in direct sunlight?

The Smart Controller claims a brightness of 1000 nits, the display I previously quoted claims 2200 nits. Should be capable of burning images into your chest! :)

I use a LEPOW 15.6 inch 1080P monitor with my Smart Controller when I have my wife with me. it is like a tablet, very light weight (1.8 pounds).

I use an external Duracell power pack to power it. Since it draws very little power, the power pack can keep it running for hours. The monitor input is a "mini hdmi" connector, so you will need a "HDMI-to-MINI HDMI" cable, or an HDMI-to-MINI HDMI" adapter if you want to use a standard HDMI cable since the Smart Controller has a "full size" HDMI connector on its rear. This has worked great for me.

Below is a link to the monitor ($185) and the Duracell power pack ($7.00) on Amazon.

But, does the MacBooks have a bright enough display to be usable in direct sunlight?

The Smart Controller claims a brightness of 1000 nits, the display I previously quoted claims 2200 nits. Should be capable of burning images into your chest! :)
Good observation as the I never use the MacBook in the direct sunlight. I have a Smart Controller and it is pretty good but occasionally need to seek shad even with that. The signal can be converted and sent to the computer but if not visible the utility would be nil. Needs to be tested. Thanks

Using a Laptop or MacBook seems to be an expensive and clumsy solution when a simple purpose-driven monitor intended for high contrast/brightness can be used instead. However, the Laptop/MacBook would have multiple purposes, I'll give you that.

Using a Laptop or MacBook seems to be an expensive and clumsy solution when a simple purpose-driven monitor intended for high contrast/brightness can be used instead. However, the Laptop/MacBook would have multiple purposes, I'll give you that.
I would agree with that. I was just pointing out that turning an HDMI signal into a computer input is possible with the converter-not that it would be the best solution for the OP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scATC1001