DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDR and nd filters?

J.C.

Reactions
Guys I have a question for you all!
Everyone is talking about HDR on the mavic air 2. Since HDR is only on auto mode I was wondering if I should use a nd filter when shooting in HDR mode or it is not recommended to do so. Also should I have WB on auto or manual at 5800K.

My suggestion would be no, its best not to use ND filters with HDR video as you cannot set a manual shutter speed, its going to be in auto behind the scenes.

Guys I have a question for you all!
Everyone is talking about HDR on the mavic air 2. Since HDR is only on auto mode I was wondering if I should use a nd filter when shooting in HDR mode or it is not recommended to do so. Also should I have WB on auto or manual at 5800K.

No question that using bracketed shots to create one's own HDR is better than the HDR mode on my M2P. In compiling one's own bracketed shots for HDR, I think there might be a limited use for an ND filter, like if you want a slow shutter speed to blur moving objects and there is enough light that would otherwise overexpose the shot. But I think that then creates some challenges in compiling the images for HDR, given the motion-blurred subject. I believe it can be done, but it is beyond my skills.

P.S. Not sure "compiling" is the right word here.

Blending is a better term. What the HDR software does is build a set of multiple masks, each mask selecting the sharpest image fragment. These masks are dovetailed together to make the master image. What will happen with motion blur is that it will build the image with whatever sharpest image fragment it can find. Motion blur will not cause the process to fail overall, but it probably won't find any image fragment that is very sharp, and has a soft spot in the final image. This may work depending on the effect the greater as in mind.

I use an ND filter with HDR. It lets HDR select a slower shutter speed, just like it would with manual exposure settings.

Hello Tentoes,

Very intriguing.

HDR essentially averages the mood/ambience of the scene you are trying to capture at the specific moment in time. Why would you want to change the very mystique which attracted you to the scene in the first place?

If other members are using ND filters in HDR mode please chime in as I am always eager for knowledge. :)
All the best,
vjpapa

Hello Tentoes,

Very intriguing.

HDR essentially averages the mood/ambience of the scene you are trying to capture at the specific moment in time. Why would you want to change the very mystique which attracted you to the scene in the first place?

If other members are using ND filters in HDR mode please chime in as I am always eager for knowledge. :)
All the best,
vjpapa
HDR shoots more than one shot at different exposures. Then it combines them, using a higher exposure to pull the detail out of the shadows and lower exposure to get the detail in the highlights. On both, a slower shutter speed will give you a little motion blur, just like it does in manual settings.

Reactions: Thomas B
HDR shoots more than one shot at different exposures. Then it combines them, using a higher exposure to pull the detail out of the shadows and lower exposure to get the detail in the highlights. On both, a slower shutter speed will give you a little motion blur, just like it does in manual settings.
Exactly!

Thank you Tentoes and Thomas for your comments. Since have been trained to employ the scientific method, I find myself conflicted that ND filters enhance HDR. I do plan, however, to experiment with a polarizing filter(approx. 1 stop) and then a ND8. I will report back.

Thank you Tentoes and Thomas for your comments. Since have been trained to employ the scientific method, I find myself conflicted that ND filters enhance HDR. I do plan, however, to experiment with a polarizing filter(approx. 1 stop) and then a ND8. I will report back.

hehe I tried that once. Shooting the same scene with and without the ND filter. Found myself mixing up the clips. "Now, was this WITH or WITHOUT."

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic