DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heavy Wind The Mavic Mini's Achilles Heel

Are you sure? Have you tried that? I've never used RTH in eight years of flying DJI products - but, I'm fairly certain you have to cancel the RTH (which isn't possible in all scenarios) in order to change speed and altitude.

Yup flew 4 batts today into a "strong" headwind and it performed as expected. Only thing RTH maintained was the annoying beeping and trajectory to homepoint, otherwise could override:

* Speed: 54lm/h downwind (right stick forward)
* Yaw: Great for 360degree scenic views coming back
* Altitude: Go up/down as required.

Could do all 3 simultaneously in RTH.

Yup flew 4 batts today into a "strong" headwind and it performed as expected. Only thing RTH maintained was the annoying beeping and trajectory to homepoint, otherwise could override:

* Speed: 54lm/h downwind (right stick forward)
* Yaw: Great for 360degree scenic views coming back
* Altitude: Go up/down as required.

Could do all 3 simultaneously in RTH.

Interesting. That must be a Mini thing as it doesn't have the VPS and obstacle avoidance. You can't do that on a proper Mavic unless you turn the obstacle avoidance off.

EDIT - video showing how it works on the larger models.

Heavy Wind The Mavic Mini's Achilles Heel : Tips on how to deal with it
(1) . If its windy just don't fly
(2) . A Lot of times the wind at ground level can be wildly different then at 150ft - 400ft . Lesson to the motors and watch for the craft to tilt as you are ascending . As the wind increases the motors will speed up and the craft will tilt to help hold its positioning . If The MM is doing this continuously , It's not a good day for flying. If you hear it intermittingly that's due to strong wind gust . This can be far more dangerous then strong sustained winds .
(3). A beautiful day at your house does not mean beautiful weather on location . Mountain tops , The Ocean , Lakes and many other places can always have stronger winds . Keep this in mind and plan a 2nd or 3rd trip instead of forcing the issues.
(4). Weather Apps and Weather report can also help . On site take note of how the wind is blowing and plan your flight with that in mind . It takes longer / more battery power to fly against the wind . Flying 800ft out with the wind may only take 2 min and 10% battery but Flying back in 25mph wind it may take 20 mins and 75% battery . It is a good rule of thumb to fly out against the wind and wind assisted to return.
(5). Refer to (1-4) and (6) wont be needed
(6). At or above 25 mph seems to be the threshold for what the Mini can do in wind . BUT 13 mph with heavy Gust is far more dangerous . If your out and the wind increases Do Not use Return To Home (RTH) doesn't use full power and if the wind is strong enough it will be pushed away. Calmly put it into sports mode turn your camera downward , bring up the map and attempt to fly home this way . The reasons for downward camera is if you lose it and it goes down you can Reference the footage to find land mark near where it lands. The Map as a screen is useful to make sure your pointed in the right direction .
(7). If your in strong wind gust and you hear an Intermittent Plastic on Plastic clinging sound .Turn your MM with its back to the wind and try to land as soon as possible ! DJI is looking into this but I have not heard a response as of yet .( "In heavy wind if its facing the wind it tilts so it can fight back and keep its position , BUT the props on the 2 front arms bend back due to the winds direct force on them at this angle and its causing them to hit the drone. While flying at 80ft 13mph wind at >then 25mph gust it was tilting and I could hear the plastic on plastic clinking so I brought it down to analyze it . That's when I found this out. ") <------ Speculation not conformed by DJI as of Yet
(8) If it is windy just don't fly

I truly hope some of you find this helpful and MM lives to Fly many more days and years
RR

Reactions: supraz
1) and 8) seem to be the answer ... 2) thru 7) are just things that tell you you need to do 1) and 8) :)

Back to the original post, UAV forecast app is always a good reference, it even does gusts and wind at altitude. No weather app is infallible, a wet finger can help on occasion..

Back to the original post, UAV forecast app is always a good reference, it even does gusts and wind at altitude.
Remember that any accurate weather data sources used by UAV forecast could be many miles away from your location. As far as I'm aware, unless you're very close to the data source it will interpolates the available data to give you an idea of what to expect in your area. The bottom line is that it's only a guide and shouldn't be relied upon particularly if the wind feels strong on the surface.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR