DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Canada

looking at getting a dji mini 3
Good choice for a first drone in Canada. Being under 250 g makes a huge difference legally speaking. You don't need a pilot's certificate and you can fly more places. I have a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mini 3 Pro, and the Mavic usually stays on the shelf because the Mini is good enough photographically and subject to fewer restrictions on where I can fly.

You are going to want extra batteries. I find the FlyMore kit to be a great deal — I like the bag which is basically free if you price out the extra batteries and multi-charger separately. Remember that the listed flight times are under ideal conditions, and you'll want to leave a good safety margin so a 30 minute rated time means 15-20 minutes flying before you land and change batteries.

I would study for and get at least your basic sRPAS certification, even if it's not needed for a sub-250 g drone. I've found being a licensed drone pilot moves me from 'guy with a toy' to 'professional doing a job' in peoples' minds (illogical as that may be).

If you're going into business I'd get the advanced (more expensive as it requires a flight test). And don't forget insurance!

NRC map of flight restrictions:

very useful app for logging flights/maintenance/certifications. Also links to NRC map for easy field access:

Don Joyce's YouTube channel. Great source for Canada-specific drone information, including the study guide video I used to pass my basic certification.

Drone Pilot Association of Canada (decent umbrella group):

Oh, and I second JavaJack's recommendation of OmniView Tech. Great company.

Last edited:
Reactions: WanderLost
Greetings from Iowa!

Regarding your question about the M3P, I purchased one a little over a month ago. Fluid a few times over the first week I had it, then decided to return it and get the air three. DJI was very gracious about the whole return process since it was done within their 14 day window.

Although it was a little more expensive, I am much happier with the air three for several reasons. The construction is more robust than that of the M3P. It’s super handy to have that 3X lens on there, as well as the wide angle. And since we do get some windy days here in Iowa, I found it to be more stable in the wind. Overall for my personal use, I am finding the Air 3 to be the far better choice, but your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Chetk7677
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Molly: Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART ALSO FLY LEGALLY

Good choice for a first drone in Canada. Being under 250 g makes a huge difference legally speaking. You don't need a pilot's certificate and you can fly more places. I have a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mini 3 Pro, and the Mavic usually stays on the shelf because the Mini is good enough photographically and subject to fewer restrictions on where I can fly.

You are going to want extra batteries. I find the FlyMore kit to be a great deal — I like the bag which is basically free if you price out the extra batteries and multi-charger separately. Remember that the listed flight times are under ideal conditions, and you'll want to leave a good safety margin so a 30 minute rated time means 15-20 minutes flying before you land and change batteries.

I would study for and get at least your basic sRPAS certification, even if it's not needed for a sub-250 g drone. I've found being a licensed drone pilot moves me from 'guy with a toy' to 'professional doing a job' in peoples' minds (illogical as that may be).

If you're going into business I'd get the advanced (more expensive as it requires a flight test). And don't forget insurance!

NRC map of flight restrictions:

very useful app for logging flights/maintenance/certifications. Also links to NRC map for easy field access:

Don Joyce's YouTube channel. Great source for Canada-specific drone information, including the study guide video I used to pass my basic certification.

Drone Pilot Association of Canada (decent umbrella group):

Oh, and I second JavaJack's recommendation of OmniView Tech. Great company.

I can second (or third!) OmniView Tech as a good source for drones and parts. They were the only Canadian company I contacted recently who had TB30 batteries in stock for my Matrice M30 drone. Shipped out the next day free shipping. Great service and fresh stock.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J