DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with IMU Error (Solved)

Kbviper

Reactions
*** Problem Solved: After not paying much attention to what was going on the screen when doing the IMU calibration, I watched a calibration video - then I realized that the diagrams of the ME on the screen were changing - it had to go on its side (X2), then bottom, then back - no wonder it would not go by stage 2 without being re-positioned. My bad the first time, but will not make that mistake again if I have an IMU calibration issue.

Looking for assistance with an IMU error. I have a fair bit of experience with my agencies Mavic Enterprise Dual and Zoom drones along with most of the other Mavic models and Phantoms.

In 3 years, I have never had to do an IMU calibration on any drone. This morning, while preparing to do a demo using a Smart Controller and a Mavic Enterprise Dual with about 20 hours flying time on it - never crashed, no hard knocks, I got a message that an IMU calibration was required. I clicked calibrate IMU and over the next two hours watched the blue calibration line on level 2 get 95 percent across the line, and then stop. I restarted a couple of times but got the same result. Gave up and demoed the ME Zoom, Mavic Air 2 and MM 2.

I got home this afternoon, and thinking that the Smart Controller might be part of the problem, paired it to the original controller again. When I fired it up I got the IMU calibration message and when I brought up the screen listing overall status, flight mode, compass, imu, esc status, etc, by IMU it says in red - "Offset Error", when I touch the screen on the calibrate button by IMU, nothing happens.

The Overall Status Screen lists a number of things including:

- IMU Calibration Required
- Solution - Calibrate the IMU
- IMU Calibration Incomplete
- Solution - Please calibrate the IMU
- Sensor bias too large. Place aircraft on a flat level surface and conduct IMU calibration

It is on a flat floor in my house and I have restarted everything a couple of times. I may retry pairing it with the Smart Controller as that is what I started the first calibration with.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
*** Problem Solved: After not paying much attention to what was going on the screen when doing the IMU calibration, I watched a calibration video - then I realized that the diagrams of the ME on the screen were changing - it had to go on its side (X2), then bottom, then back - no wonder it would not go by stage 2 without being re-positioned. My bad the first time, but will not make that mistake again if I have an IMU calibration issue.

Looking for assistance with an IMU error. I have a fair bit of experience with my agencies Mavic Enterprise Dual and Zoom drones along with most of the other Mavic models and Phantoms.

In 3 years, I have never had to do an IMU calibration on any drone. This morning, while preparing to do a demo using a Smart Controller and a Mavic Enterprise Dual with about 20 hours flying time on it - never crashed, no hard knocks, I got a message that an IMU calibration was required. I clicked calibrate IMU and over the next two hours watched the blue calibration line on level 2 get 95 percent across the line, and then stop. I restarted a couple of times but got the same result. Gave up and demoed the ME Zoom, Mavic Air 2 and MM 2.

I got home this afternoon, and thinking that the Smart Controller might be part of the problem, paired it to the original controller again. When I fired it up I got the IMU calibration message and when I brought up the screen listing overall status, flight mode, compass, imu, esc status, etc, by IMU it says in red - "Offset Error", when I touch the screen on the calibrate button by IMU, nothing happens.

The Overall Status Screen lists a number of things including:

- IMU Calibration Required
- Solution - Calibrate the IMU
- IMU Calibration Incomplete
- Solution - Please calibrate the IMU
- Sensor bias too large. Place aircraft on a flat level surface and conduct IMU calibration

It is on a flat floor in my house and I have restarted everything a couple of times. I may retry pairing it with the Smart Controller as that is what I started the first calibration with.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
I have heard of a few people experiencing this same problem and they determined that the sensor gets stuck and a firm nock on the nose of the drone will dislodge it. You can search it on YouTube. Good luck hope this helps.

You think IMU calibration can be misunderstood now. At one time the Go app with the M2 had the wrong orientation shown than what it wanted for that step.

Reactions: Bearsfan77
i believe when you reach the second dot, then YOU move the drone into the next position (instructions via youtube), then it will calibrate and 3rd dot will light. Move drone to next position etc. (MAVIC AIR 1),
Doh - just read your initial post again. You solved it.
I had an issue with my drone going into ATTI mode whenever there were 18 satellites visible. It dropped 140 feet, uncontrollable, then steadied, spun around and i just about got it home. it was flying at a severe tilt angle for several seconds too. Hence went into try and calibrate the IMU and encountered the challenge similar to you.

Here’s what the OP posted:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo