DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizontal camera movement

D

danman999

I have had my Mavic a week, but have only had time to fly it once for about 15 minutes. I was really impressed with what I was able to do in beginner mode. I have turned on the Mavic, remote and app in my home just to go through some configuration options. I am not planning on flying indoors, at least not anytime soon.

I noticed that via the remote control I have good vertical pan (up-down) on the camera, but horizontal pan (left-right) seems to move the camera only a few degrees in either direction.

What is really puzzling is that when I run a gimbal calibration I see the camera pan horizontally much wider than I can do with the remote. Gimbal calibration passes every times

I have calibrated the remote several times.

Is that normal or am I missing something in the app?

Reactions: Former Member
I have had my Mavic a week, but have only had time to fly it once for about 15 minutes. I was really impressed with what I was able to do in beginner mode. I have turned on the Mavic, remote and app in my home just to go through some configuration options. I am not planning on flying indoors, at least not anytime soon.

I noticed that via the remote control I have good vertical pan (up-down) on the camera, but horizontal pan (left-right) seems to move the camera only a few degrees in either direction.

What is really puzzling is that when I run a gimbal calibration I see the camera pan horizontally much wider than I can do with the remote. Gimbal calibration passes every times

I have calibrated the remote several times.

Is that normal or am I missing something in the app?
It is normal, the camera only pans horizontally a few degrees to compensate for turning and banking.

The reason most drones only have three axis (more like 2.25 axis) gimbals is the landing gear would get in the way of the photo with a true three (or four) axis gimbal.

I have good vertical pan (up-down) on the camera, but horizontal pan (left-right) seems to move the camera only a few degrees in either direction.

Like Bunny said, the camera only pans horizontally a few degrees to compensate for turning and banking, and that pan function is automated by the Mavic once you are in the air.

When it's in the air, that same control movement that is only giving you a few degrees of gimbal pan on the ground will translate into a full 360 pan done by the yaw movement of the Mavic. Thats how you pan a Mavic. On the higher end DJI drones, Inspire, etc, you can pan the camera 360° independent of the orientation of the drone.

Thanks for the help everybody. Sincerely.

JNI should be paying all of you for providing the outstanding customer support they don't!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77