DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Houston tx Herman Park

ron77584

Reactions
This is what the rules say "Drone photography is not allowed in the Park per FAA regulations"
What regulations are they referring to?

As far as I know, Herman Park is in Class B airspace. Depending on where you are, the altitude limit is either 200 ft. or 50 ft. And, being in that airspace, you would have to get authorization to fly.

There may be other restrictions on the sectional map. Unfortunately, I cannot access them yet (on mobile).

As far as I know, Herman Park is in Class B airspace. Depending on where you are, the altitude limit is either 200 ft. or 50 ft. And, being in that airspace, you would have to get authorization to fly.

There may be other restrictions on the sectional map. Unfortunately, I cannot access them yet (on mobile).
I am seeing Class B SFC-10000 for Hermann Park; so no drone flying without Part 107 waiver and if hobbyist then ATC notification--also Airmap states the same--

This is what the rules say "Drone photography is not allowed in the Park per FAA regulations"
What regulations are they referring to?
There is no FAA reg that states that; that is a poorly worded sign--LOL Of course you can photograph w/cameras in a city park so you should be able to photograph with a drone's camera too (if not flying) --say just using the camera function only;

Also a city or state can indeed make rules to keep you from landing/taking off on their property but they cannot prevent you from flying over their park; with that said Hermann Park is Class B airspace so you would need either a Part 107 waiver or ATC approval if flying as a hobbyist--Airmap also states that--

I personally just avoid places like that--not worth the hassle--too many other places to fly

Houston has passed a city ordinance that says you can’t fly any drones in their parks, IE launch or land there. Like it was said above they can’t stop you from launching nearby and flying over to them.

Reactions: texasgrape
There is no FAA reg that states that; that is a poorly worded sign--LOL Of course you can photograph w/cameras in a city park so you should be able to photograph with a drone's camera too (if not flying) --say just using the camera function only;

Also a city or state can indeed make rules to keep you from landing/taking off on their property but they cannot prevent you from flying over their park; with that said Hermann Park is Class B airspace so you would need either a Part 107 waiver or ATC approval if flying as a hobbyist--Airmap also states that--

I personally just avoid places like that--not worth the hassle--too many other places to fly
Where do you typically fly in or near the loop? I'm finding it tough to find a suitable spot in town.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo