DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How accurate should precision landing be?

up_north

Reactions
Hi all

When I take off I always tick the precision landing box. How accurate should this be? Even with a high contrast bright orange landing pad it rarely lands on it - usually it’s a couple of feet out which often means it would land on grass if I didn’t interrupt the landing.

Thanks.

Ian

Hi all

When I take off I always tick the precision landing box. How accurate should this be? Even with a high contrast bright orange landing pad it rarely lands on it - usually it’s a couple of feet out which often means it would land on grass if I didn’t interrupt the landing.

Thanks.

Ian
Presumably you are climbing to circa 20-30 feet and allowing the aircraft to remain in a stationary hover for the required time to collate the necessary surrounding data to facilitate a precision RTH?

If it's a couple of feet out, it's not using the precision landing feature at all and simply going by GPS.
You need to do what post #3 says.

If PL chosen, mine lands within cm. every time, irrespective of surface - concrete / grass / orange-circle & distance flown (up to x thousand feet round-trip). A most impressive & welcome feature on current MA, as this was one of the few irks on my previous P3SE - which always seemed to land 3-4 feet away (inc. GPS) whereas the much cheaper Hubsan X501s landed on-the-button. Otherwise as post #3 :)

as this was one of the few irks on my previous P3SE - which always seemed to land 3-4 feet away (inc. GPS) whereas the much cheaper Hubsan X501s landed on-the-button.
The reason your P3 did that is that it used GPS which is not pinpoint accurate.
GPS will only locate the drone within 2.5 metres and sometimes more.
It's doubtful that your Hubsan had accuracy beyond what GPS can achieve.
The Precision Landing feature in your Mavic uses advanced technology that the Hubsan does not have.

The reason your P3 did that is that it used GPS which is not pinpoint accurate.
GPS will only locate the drone within 2.5 metres and sometimes more.
It's doubtful that your Hubsan had accuracy beyond what GPS can achieve.
The Precision Landing feature in your Mavic uses advanced technology that the Hubsan does not have.
No probs, can only report as I found. Am aware that both P3SE and Hubsan only relied on the available GPS but the Hubsan did invariably land on (almost) the same concrete-joint or grass-patch it had used to take off from, not so the P3Se. Obviously the MA trounces both in terms of technology/performance - and months later I'm still exploring it's potential ?

My impression is that the MA scans the surroundings when you tick precision landing. When there are a couple of obstacles around in a few meters distance it seems to help the MA. My MA lands then directly on the pad. But when I am at an open field with no obstacles and nothing to support orientation of the MA then the landing is not so precise and can be 1m outside the landing pad.

Thanks for your help everyone. I don’t think I was letting it hover long enough after take off. I’m now doing that and all is good again. I did also recalibrate the IMU.

Latest lesson learned...landing button is far too close to the RTH button on the DJI Go app! “Why are you saying you’re landing, you’re nowhere near home...oh”.

Reactions: Shon
Oh yes, I hit rth when I was way out over a valley @ 600m distance. It was only when it was at minus 100ft that I clocked I had hit the landing button. And I think I don't allow it enough time to get its precision landing fix at 25ft or 8m

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie