DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How close does the controller have to be to connect to the AC?

Point Zero

Reactions
Does anyone know if its possible to connect the controller and the AC over an extended distance? Obviously when you fire them em they are within metres of one another but wondered if this connection could be made at a greater distance.

As long as you get a good signal, the AC does not need to be close to the RC to connect. It is the same as if you had a disconnect due to distance/terrain/etc. and then got reconnected while the AC was returning to home.

It probably would work at least a few hundred feet, assuming no signal obstructions such as bushes, hills, etc. If flat, clear terrain with no other devices in 2.4/5ghz band, as far as 5 miles.

Reactions: Point Zero
Over 11 miles line of site. Amazing.
So in theory we could fly this distance and land over 11 miles away.
My eyes would need to improve .

Unless your home position was elevated like at the edge of a cliff or in a high rise apartment, you would lose radio contact while trying to land 11 miles out. Then you would have to program your bird to "land" instead of "RTH" if landing was the desired goal.

See the attached intro to the fresnel zone paper I wrote:

Attachments

• Fresnel-Zone-for-Drone-Pilots.pdf
    976.3 KB · Views: 11
Wow guys, thanks for the amazing info! I would love to try this out but I’m not leaving a £1,400 drone alone somewhere while I cycle off 300 metres at a time in another direction. Will have to get a friend involved

Unless your home position was elevated like at the edge of a cliff or in a high rise apartment, you would lose radio contact while trying to land 11 miles out. Then you would have to program your bird to "land" instead of "RTH" if landing was the desired goal.

See the attached intro to the fresnel zone paper I wrote:

Hi Beanbubba,

I read your paper, very well done. I would like to understand the antenna alignment you mentioned better. I have studied antenna theory many, many years ago and barely remember the basics so bear with me. Is the chart indicating that the alignment of the two antennas must be within 5 degrees of parallel with respect to each other at longer distances? My understanding is that the aircraft antenna are in the front landing legs and in level flight at distance would be at 90 degrees WRT the controller so the only variable is the angle of the controller antenna. Is this all correct?

Ken

Hi Beanbubba,

I read your paper, very well done. I would like to understand the antenna alignment you mentioned better. I have studied antenna theory many, many years ago and barely remember the basics so bear with me. Is the chart indicating that the alignment of the two antennas must be within 5 degrees of parallel with respect to each other at longer distances? My understanding is that the aircraft antenna are in the front landing legs and in level flight at distance would be at 90 degrees WRT the controller so the only variable is the angle of the controller antenna. Is this all correct?

Ken
That paper made an assumption that the AC used the ~3dBi omni directional antenna, and the RC used a ~14dBi directional panel antenna. The references to antenna up tilt were for the RC only. If you are interested in RF basics and to answer your questions with more detail, this thread will catch you up:

Mavic Radio Mods Primer

Reactions: Point Zero
That paper made an assumption that the AC used the ~3dBi omni directional antenna, and the RC used a ~14dBi directional panel antenna. The references to antenna up tilt were for the RC only. If you are interested in RF basics and to answer your questions with more detail, this thread will catch you up:

Mavic Radio Mods Primer
Hey @beanbubba that thread looks really good and that was one heck of an introduction, i am going to enjoy going through that. Thank you for sharing (even though it was meant for @Camino Ken lol)

Mavic Radio Mods Primer
Hi,

Thanks for quick response. I took a brief look at the primer and I am very impressed and would like to commend you on some great work. I guess I am not that interested in diving into the RF details too much. I am a retired electronics engineer and it has been a long time since I made lab measurements or dug into the nitty gritty like you. At this point I’m not sure my old brain could absorb much of the info. I guess I was just looking for a quick answer, if possible, on confirming that your chart was indicating relative tilt of the controller antenna.

Thanks,

Ken

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven