DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do You Access The Optical Zoom On MA2?

PITTMAV69

Reactions
Hello All.
I was trying to find the optical zoom on DJI Fly yesterday while I was using my MA2 to inspect a roof. I was unable to locate the feature under camera or control settings. I heard this was recently made available in a firmware update. If so; does anyone know the update version? I'm pretty sure my drone has the current version but I haven't checked updates in about 2 weeks. Please and thank you in advance.

Hello All.
I was trying to find the optical zoom on DJI Fly yesterday while I was using my MA2 to inspect a roof. I was unable to locate the feature under camera or control settings. I heard this was recently made available in a firmware update. If so; does anyone know the update version? I'm pretty sure my drone has the current version but I haven't checked updates in about 2 weeks. Please and thank you in advance.

It is not an optical zoom, rather a digital one which makes use of the full size of the sensor. The control is right next to the record button.

You’ll need DJI Fly v1.1.6 and Firmware v01.00.0340. However there are reports that the latest update to DJI Fly has issues related to intermittent video link. Probably better to hang on a few weeks until DJI have fixed it.

Reactions: PITTMAV69
Thanks brother. I just started watching this exact video about a minute before you posted your reply. My mistake was thinking that I could access zoom for still photos. Using it for video will be extremely helpful but yesterday I was just doing some quick photos for my landlord of the roof on our guest house in the backyard. I was in a really tight area between the roof and some tree branches trying to get a good shot of the peak of the roof and it would have been great if I could have zoomed in for the shots due to where I had to keep the drone to avoid hitting anything. If he wants a better view; I will try using video instead of stills. Thanks again.
Kyle

The only Mavic that has optical zoom is the M2Z, but that has camera trade-offs compared to M2P.

The rest have digital zoom for video by leveraging the extra pixels in the sensor than what the video resolution needs.
Since you can get higher resolution photos than you can with even 4k video, you can zoom your photo in post at a lower resolution and still remain lossless.

There is not optical zoom on the MA2 on digital.

1) In the mode setting for video, camera quick shots on the right above the record button you have to select either video or photo
2) Select Zoom and not Wide on the tab that appears.
3) After closing the menu there should be a X1 on the video feed to the left of the record button.

Thanks Everyone. I checked out the YouTube Video recommended in the first reply to my post. I was mistaken in thinking that there was optical zoom available on the camera for still shots. All is well. From now on; if I need to zoom; I'll just shoot video using the necessary magnification setting and gather any stills I need from there in post.
Much Gratitude.
Kyle.

Reactions: MA2 317
Thanks Everyone. I checked out the YouTube Video recommended in the first reply to my post. I was mistaken in thinking that there was optical zoom available on the camera for still shots. All is well. From now on; if I need to zoom; I'll just shoot video using the necessary magnification setting and gather any stills I need from there in post.
Much Gratitude.
Kyle.
If you are after stills, you would be better off taking 48MP stills and then cropping/resizing to get what you want. I think the quality would be better.

If you need video too, then your plan absolutely makes sense, but even then I think I would take stills in addition to video. You won't have compression artifacts from the video to deal with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys