DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you quickly turn "off" all obstacle/downward/sideways sensing?

Well I have now programmed my C2 button to quickly turn off obstacle avoidance for the landing situation I originally mentioned in this thread. But now I have a variation of the issue. I'd like to quickly turn off landing protection because in videos about hand catching most seem to agree that it's easier if you have landing protection off. Landing protection does not go off with the other sensors on the C2 button, and to turn it off manually on the controller takes 4 screens, 4 clicks, a bit awkward, and unfortunately landing protection is not an option for a C1 or C2 button. Is there anyway to quickly turn just this off?

Well I have now programmed my C2 button to quickly turn off obstacle avoidance for the landing situation I originally mentioned in this thread. But now I have a variation of the issue. I'd like to quickly turn off landing protection because in videos about hand catching most seem to agree that it's easier if you have landing protection off. Landing protection does not go off with the other sensors on the C2 button, and to turn it off manually on the controller takes 4 screens, 4 clicks, a bit awkward, and unfortunately landing protection is not an option for a C1 or C2 button. Is there anyway to quickly turn just this off?
If you hand catch from the front... just hover, then slide your flattened hand slowly under the drone about an inch below it. From there some grab and some let it settle on to the palm. No need to struggle with sensors for that.

Well I've seen that method in videos. But with landing protection turned on the drone tends to rise up to avoid your hand. To avoid this, one guy just grabs it between two fingers near the front with the drone facing him to avoid the down sensors. He grabs it very gently and then gives it down stick to turn off the motors. The other guy turns off landing protection and just lets it settle onto the flat of his hand as you describe. I guess I'll have to try it. But the videos I've seen suggests that if you place your hand flat under the drone landing protection will tend to make it rise to avoid your hand

Well I've seen that method in videos. But with landing protection turned on the drone tends to rise up to avoid your hand. To avoid this, one guy just grabs it between two fingers near the front with the drone facing him to avoid the down sensors. He grabs it very gently and then gives it down stick to turn off the motors. The other guy turns off landing protection and just lets it settle onto the flat of his hand as you describe. I guess I'll have to try it. But the videos I've seen suggests that if you place your hand flat under the drone landing protection will tend to make it rise to avoid your hand
Slide it in from the front while hovering. Hold your had still, and wait 5-10 seconds.

Why don't you just leave it turned off?

Do you know what it does? I don't!
I tested alot and there is no advantage to have it turned on!
So turn it off and be happy.

Reactions: mmoguls and rfc
Tick... Tick....Tick

Tick Tick what?

And no it does not take time to practice, if you turn landing protection off.

Everyone seems to be like "uuuhh, I can't turn anything off because it's less secure then". But when I ask, what that feature does, I don't get an answer. I really want to know what landing protection EXACTLY does (don't quote the manual please), to find out if it makes sense to leave it turned off in favor to hand catch the drone the easiest way possible!

I did lots of testing, can't find it out.

But when I ask, what that feature does, I don't get an answer. I really want to know what landing protection EXACTLY does (don't quote the manual please), to find out if it makes sense to leave it turned off in favor to hand catch the drone the easiest way possible!
I will share with you my limited experience with landing protection kicking in. I usually leave it turned on and on three occasions, it prevented the AC from landing. Two of these were the AC returning to the take off point shortly after take off as a result of close proximity disconnects. On both occasions, the AC came back to the home point and hovered there instead of landing. I always launch the AC from the top of my hard carrying case and hand land or catch. So I never use a landing pad. In these two instances, I launched from spots that were not ideal for landing. One was covered with tall grass, the other was a tiny spot of dry land in the midst of wet ground. I am glad that the AC decided to hover instead of land on these two occasions. I was able to restart the remote controller, reconnect with the AC and hand land it on both occasions.

The third encounter with landing protection happened when I was experimenting with smart capture on gesture mode (without the use of a phone or a remote controller). After 10 minutes or so of the AC following me as I rode my bike, I decided to call it a day and tried to land the AC on a rough pavement. No matter how many times I tried the gesture to land, the AC simply wouldn't. Hand catching was also not an option in this instance since the AC was tracking me and would go backwards as soon as I approached it. I even tried approaching it from the side, but it would yaw and still track me. It finally landed on its own after the battery reached critical level. Since then, I turn off landing protection when using the AC in this mode.

And to add my two cents worth of opinion, I think it makes sense to leave landing protection turned on unless you have a specific reason to turn it off.

OK I understand. That were my results as well, kinda... I figured out it, if you use RTH, it hovers for a second or so and continues landing. If you turn it off, it just lands.
I tested it in a way I normally fly, that means nearby are no trees, water, high gras, or anything else unsuitable for drone landing.

That's the reason I don't need that feature, and I would say that's the safest way to go, you shouldn't rely on landing protection, you should start and land on suitable ground.

My two cents are the opposite, turn it off so you can hand catch it always quick and easy in an Emergency.
If you are someone who starts in high gras (?), close to water, or anything else you shouldn't normally do, then leave it on.
But i guess most people start at safe places so they don't need it. If the drone has enough space around the start location (if precision landing doesn't work and you lost connection, for example) you are still safe without landing protection.

I never use RTH, I always land manually, because I love to fly and I don't trust all those sensors, they can always fail, and till you react, the drone is crashed, maybe...

if you use RTH, it hovers for a second or so and continues landing.
Minor correction, it will require an active command from the pilot to continue landing in such a situation (i.e. if landing protection has determined the spot to be unsuitable and the AC is hovering). The AC will continue to hover until it gets confirmation from the pilot to land or it's battery reaches critical level (10%).

Minor correction, it will require an active command from the pilot to continue landing in such a situation (i.e. if landing protection has determined the spot to be unsuitable and the AC is hovering). The AC will continue to hover until it gets confirmation from the pilot to land or it's battery reaches critical level (10%).
Sure. But because i never start (=land) on unsuitable locations, my drone just hovers for a second and then lands (RTH).

Sure. But because i never start (=land) on unsuitable locations, my drone just hovers for a second and then lands (RTH).
That means landing protection did not determine the landing site to be unsuitable and therefore did not suspend the landing. If it did, it will hover until it gets conformation from the pilot to complete the landing.

That means landing protection did not determine the landing site to be unsuitable and therefore did not suspend the landing. If it did, it will hover until it gets conformation from the pilot to complete the landing.

Ok
All i say is, if you fly "normal" and start / land on normal locations, you DONT NEED landing protection!

Reactions: rfc
Ok
All i say is, if you fly "normal" and start / land on normal locations, you DONT NEED landing protection!
It is a feature for those who need it. Same can be said about other features such as OA and APAS. You are the best judge when it comes to deciding which features you need and which ones you don't. So yes, if you don't need it, turn it off. I just got in to this conversation because you asked a question about what landing protection does and claimed no one has ever given you an answer other than quoting the manual.

I need to manually land on my dock, between pilings, and in the cockpit of my boat. When I tried this I did it successfully, but at times when trying to fine tune the exact landing spot the aircraft balked and wouldn't move. This was because it was sensing the pilings as obstacles, and it decided to just hover in place and ignore stick inputs.

So obviously I need to turn off obstacle/downward/sideways sensing when landing in tight spaces, and in going into settings, it looks like you have to turn off several items on several screens. Is there way to program one of the buttons, like the C1 button to quickly turn ALL of this off in one click? That would be handy on flights like this, to do it just before landing. Obviously I'd like to have the sensing on at all times otherwise.

P.S.: Apparently to land the bird by hand -- plucking it out of the air--it is also important to have the obstacle sensing turned off. So again this would be nice to be able to do this just before landing with one click.
YES

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder