DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does the Air 2S perform when trees/foliage are between you and the drone?

dronerat

Reactions
One of the first shots I want to take with a drone is aerial top-down photos of tree foliage in a forest near me.

Doing this will likely require me to sometimes control the drone when trees are blocking my view of it. (I know that technically violates the regs but it is a secluded area and one of the only otherwise accessible spots near me)

Will I lose control of an Air 2s if I try to do this? Will I lose the picture signal etc?

How much reduction of range can I expect from flying above and around a forest when I am standing on the ground below the canopy?

Will I lose control of an Air 2s if I try to do this? Will I lose the picture signal etc?
Any drone will lose signal if you block the line of sight between the controller and drone.
Control signal can penetrate a branch or two without much trouble.
But the water in leaves and branches blocks signal.
The more trees between you and the drone, the more signal is blocked.
Too much and you lose signal.

Reactions: 4006448
One of the first shots I want to take with a drone is aerial top-down photos of tree foliage in a forest near me.

Doing this will likely require me to sometimes control the drone when trees are blocking my view of it. (I know that technically violates the regs but it is a secluded area and one of the only otherwise accessible spots near me)

How much reduction of range can I expect from flying above and around a forest when I am standing on the ground below the canopy?
You'll be fine. I fly in the very-forested mid-Atlantic, including the mountains of West Virginia and never have any problems. Setting aside VLOS issues, you can easily get 1500 feet out in a forested area before you even see your signal drop at all, and even upwards of 3k if you have LOS (meaning, the only thing blocking you is trees and not like, buildings or a ridge or something). If you're using the Smart Controller (what I use), just remember to keep your antenna pointed down, so the flat surface faces your drone to maximize your range.

Reactions: Papa Beach
Set to RTH if signal lost and that's what will happen. Trees Will block the signal. If signal returns during RTH, you can take control again. Good luck

Geesh, if I believed some of these posts, I'd never put my drone in the air where I live - too many trees.
Truth is it takes a lot of tree cover to block your drone signal, except maybe in Florida, according to some...

Also keep in mind that you won't go from full signal to none, My drone also gives me a weak signal waring...

Reactions: Dbez1
I’m currently teaching two friends to fly and it’s been good to remember how much I really didn’t know when I started back with my Mini1. I’d like to reinforce the above mentioned suggestions to stay in an OPEN FIELD until you get some skills. If you already have skills, woods flying VLOS is fun and challenging. Enjoy the sport and fly safe.

Reactions: maggior
I live in mountainous heavily forested country in Australia. Eucalyptus that range from 30 to 60 metres. I am on a clearing that is surrounded by trees . Fly an Air 2 s and Mini 2. I have no problem flying behind trees and exit my property by weaving through the trees or go straight up and into the valleys beyond. I can fly 3 klm or so before returning but keep an eye on where I am because of the trees and hills. Sometimes the signal drops but manoeuvring or changing my position usually works. Lost signal a couple of times but then the drone returns home. As soon as I have signal I resume my flight.
One warning about RTH. In the early days I hit RTH whilst under the canopy. Of course the drone went straight up towards towards the canopy…..can’t use the sensors because of closeness of the foliage. Fortunately I was quick enough to cancel the RTH. In this case there are no mistakes, only lessons. I certainly learnt that lesson.………
happy and safe flying.

Reactions: Dbez1
Every situation is different and you have to feel it out. Being able to do that takes experience. Flying in a wooded area just starting out isn't the best idea. If something doesn't go right, you will likely panic, and when you panic, you'll likely make a crucial mistake due to lack of flying experience and potentially lose or damage your drone.

Even with my 2+ years experience of flying drones, I get a bit anxious at times if I'm bringing my drone in if I'm surrounded by trees and power lines and other obstacles.

Reactions: CCYooper and Dbez1