DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how far can you see?

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions
just wondering how far away some of you can easily see your bird. Im not trying to start a line of sight debate, just wondering.
cheers

Reactions: Mavic19963
I use additional strobes on mine that are "three mile legal" for 107.29 operations, in the daylight IMHO they are not visible at more than 1.5 miles out from my experience.

As for the stock strobes, I can not see my bird when it is over my head at 400 AGL .....

I use additional strobes on mine that are "three mile legal" for 107.29 operations, in the daylight IMHO they are not visible at more than 1.5 miles out from my experience.

As for the stock strobes, I can not see my bird when it is over my head at 400 AGL .....
I’m having trouble seeing mine too. Is there anywhere in Australia I can buy the Cree LED Strobe lights.

The farthest out I can actually see it is 3500' (only against the hotizon and if I don't take my eyes off of it) comfortably though, only around 500'

I’m having trouble seeing mine too. Is there anywhere in Australia I can buy the Cree LED Strobe lights.
i bought mine online from someone on this forum i think. I dont really use them though as they dont make a huge difference in the day @msinger from memory

Last edited:
i was just wondering at commercial airlines that seem to spot drones. their approach speed is generally around 250ft or 77m per second. Plus for anyone who has flown from the cockpit, picking an object out of space is already hard, especially when i would guess focus would be on the ground.
I would think it would be super lucky for a pilot to see a drone that is very close, let alone both aircrew seeing it. Maybe its just my suspicious nature that has me wondering at some of the sightings

As long as my screen doesn’t crash I’m good.

Incorrect. If an FAA official for some reason came by and saw that you were flying BVLOS, you would be SOL. Also, if your screen crashes and your drone doesn't respond to the RTH button, which I personally have had happen to me, you could also be SOL. Especially if it's just hovering there and a bird attacks it.

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
i was just wondering at commercial airlines that seem to spot drones. their approach speed is generally around 250ft or 77m per second. Plus for anyone who has flown from the cockpit, picking an object out of space is already hard, especially when i would guess focus would be on the ground.
I would think it would be super lucky for a pilot to see a drone that is very close, let alone both aircrew seeing it. Maybe its just my suspicious nature that has me wondering at some of the sightings

You can most certainly spot at drone at 150 knots, just like you can spot a small bird at those speeds. Which, if you've ever spent time in a cockpit, you would know. Is it easy? Not necessarily, because spotting a plane that you know is around is not the easiest. Are you spotting the drones from far away? Probably not, but you can certainly see them when they're closer. Is it improbable for trained individuals to spot something flying in the air? Not particularly.
Your suspicious nature should first be backed by personal experience, otherwise you're just exposing that you don't in fact know what you're talking about, which means you devalue your own opinion.

Longest VLOS with a white firehouse strobe is about 3Km until today (never flew further yet) And i mean I see the strobe, absolutelely not the drone.
1523853406012.png

You can most certainly spot at drone at 150 knots, just like you can spot a small bird at those speeds. Which, if you've ever spent time in a cockpit, you would know. Is it easy? Not necessarily, because spotting a plane that you know is around is not the easiest. Are you spotting the drones from far away? Probably not, but you can certainly see them when they're closer. Is it improbable for trained individuals to spot something flying in the air? Not particularly.
Your suspicious nature should first be backed by personal experience, otherwise you're just exposing that you don't in fact know what you're talking about, which means you devalue your own opinion.
I actually am a commercial pilot and have been for 30 years. So am thinking about this from a position of experience. Perhaps you should not go on the attack and make claims that others dont know what they are talking about, as you may expose yourself to be a fool.

Feel free to put your own point of view across, no need to attack credibility of someone else that you dont know

Im not making any claims, just saying i think it would be rare that both aircrew would pick this up.

Last edited:
I did a test of just this thing a couple of weeks ago. I picked a spot between 2 trees in my back yard and flew straight away. I had no strobes and my drone does not have a skin. It was a clear calm day and at first I just flew slowly away, after it was out about 500 meters out it was getting harder to see. At this point I would just push it forward by a couple of dozen meters. I managed to get out to 838 (the last distance displayed on my phone) meters then when I bumped it forward I could not see it again. I live in the country so this was all done on my own property.
A strobe absolutely would have extended that distance, a skin I do not think would have because the last I saw it it was just a black speck I could be wrong have no experience with skins.

yea I hear that. In a steady hover it’s quite easy to lose

Last edited:
I run the Arc II four strobe system and the white strobes are the easiest to see in daylight. 3000 feet is about my limit and it's still easy to look down and loose it depending on the background. With the best conditions I've been able to see it just shy of a 4000'. Even though you're supposed to be able to see it with the naked eye, I keep a set of field glasses in case I have flying issues.

Reactions: ROBERTNCREST

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andresc.castrog