DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How HOT is too HOT?

smalt0141

Reactions
I live in Tucson Arizona where the weather goes above 100℉ frequently. How hot should it be where I give my batteries a rest.
I would hate to be flying and have a battery overheat and lose control of the drone.

I live in Tucson Arizona where the weather goes above 100℉ frequently. How hot should it be where I give my batteries a rest.
I would hate to be flying and have a battery overheat and lose control of the drone.
a good trick in extreme heat is to get one of those cold boxes that use an ice pack to keep drinks cool ,
wrap the ice pack in a small towel and then place the batteries over and around the towel and pack some cloth's around the batteries to stop them sliding around during transit ,you could of course get a piece of thick foam and then use that to keep the batteries safe keep the coolbox in the boot of your car ,and get the battery out just before you are ready to put it in the drone put the used battery in the spot where the charged one was and this will help it cool down

Old man, so we can in a way put batteries on ice, (the way you suggested above) but it’s hot and humid is there anything else on the drone that could overheat? Cuz I have 10 Mavic 2 batteries (I have all 4 of the mavic2) I am afraid to use more than maybe 2 in a row when the temps outside are up to 90+ deg. Is there anything I should be worried about, or are these built with high outside temperatures in mind? Sorry for all the questions but it’s something I have been wondering about for awhile

Reactions: old man mavic
a good trick in extreme heat is to get one of those cold boxes that use an ice pack to keep drinks cool ,
wrap the ice pack in a small towel and then place the batteries over and around the towel and pack some cloth's around the batteries to stop them sliding around during transit ,you could of course get a piece of thick foam and then use that to keep the batteries safe keep the coolbox in the boot of your car ,and get the battery out just before you are ready to put it in the drone put the used battery in the spot where the charged one was and this will help it cool down
That is a good idea in transporting them and putting cool batteries in the drone. I checked and found that these batteries will tolerate flying in up to 104℉
Thanks!!

all you are trying to do is prevent them from being exposed to continuous high temps, as when they are fully charged ,they are at their most potent and they can ignite if allowed to become to hot,i must stress that it is not something that happens often, and it would require them to be in a very hot place ,but we all know that the inside of a vehicle can reach very high temps in summer months

Old man, so we can in a way put batteries on ice, (the way you suggested above) but it’s hot and humid is there anything else on the drone that could overheat? Cuz I have 10 Mavic 2 batteries (I have all 4 of the mavic2) I am afraid to use more than maybe 2 in a row when the temps outside are up to 90+ deg. Is there anything I should be worried about, or are these built with high outside temperatures in mind? Sorry for all the questions but it’s something I have been wondering about for awhile
after a flight just check the temps of the motors and the heat sync they will be quite hot but not to the point of discomfort when touched also remove the battery as soon as you can after landing and get the drone and battery into the shade, also try not to hover to long in still air close to the ground where the temps are the hottest ,when you are a couple of hundred feet up and moving the drone will be fine, just as an aside watch that your screen device has a shade on it ,or stand with a tree behind yourself to help it not to overheat

Reactions: Smalls
Hi everybody, specially friend from Tucson. I just want to share my experience flying in Hermosillo, Sonora, over 113 Fahrenheit. First as somebody state before be careful with your iPhone or iPad, keep it under shadow or it will stop working because overheat in about 5 minutes direct sunlight exposure, I bought one of these head umbrellas and wear it to keep visor device under shadow. Second after first battery I have a report on barometer failure but drone keeps working fine at least until second battery finish, I have never tried a third one immediately after because I can feel motors really hot, so, I better wait for a while (25-30 min) keeping the drone under shadow before another 15 min fly.

Be very careful about storing fully charged batteries in the heat, as they can swell up (or "puff") and be permanently damaged that way. DJI says to store them only 60% charged if you aren't going to be flying soon. (one thing to watch out for is leaving them in a hot car unattended)

Sombrilla Sombrero De Paraguas De Doble Capa Sombrero De Paraguas Divertido Respirable UV Ajustable UV Gorra De Lluvia Al Aire Libre For Pescar Fiesta En La Playa Camping Padre Regalo ( Color : Azul )

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-11 a la(s) 12.57.38.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-11 a la(s) 12.57.38.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 11
Hey guys, I know I’m not the OP but I jumped in and asked a few follow up questions about the heat on the drone. Thank you for your advise and to the OP I hope I didn’t hijack your question

I just fly in the early morning and later in the evening when its a little cooler outside. also its the best time to take pictures. They call it the golden hours for photography

Reactions: Franco7 and Smalls
You can buy a leaser temp gun, and measure the temp your self. You should measure the most important part of the drone, the heat sink at the bottom. Look for the hottest spot, and that is your Max Temp that you should go by. On my Mavic Pro the internal cooling fan kicks on when the core board temp gets to be 100 degrees. It will keep the drone cool enough to avoid over heating, If you are flying when temps outside is over 100 degrees keep temp gun close, and measure before and after flight. Heat sink temp should never get above 125 degrees or you risk frying your FC ESC board. Here in Chicago, temps drop low and can get hot not like Arizona and some of the states like Calf Etc. But I keep my leaser gun handy in cold weather and hot weather, taking temps before and after flight. Also, good for checking your motors as well for heat problems, Lot of good uses. I use my laser gun for growing plants as well, making sure plants are not to hot or to cold outside in my green house.

Reactions: Franco7 and Smalls

I live in Tucson and this is exactly what I do. Though, I try to fly in the a.m. before it gets over 100. Plus the lighting is usually better earlier in the day as well as evenings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji