DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How important is the video cache on my phone?

Carlos56

Reactions
I had quite a few mid-flight disconnects between the RC and my phone. After investigating, I suspected it may be due to the cache limit on my phone being reached. Since I was not using the cached video, I turned it off. I have far fewer disconects now (only one since), but I also switched out the DJI flat connector cable for a more robust one since turning off the video cache. So unsure about turning it back on.

My worry is that it would hamper my ability to find the drone if it went down somewhere. Ids that true? Is that the main value/purpose for the cached video on the phone?

...My worry is that it would hamper my ability to find the drone if it went down somewhere. Ids that true? Is that the main value/purpose for the cached video on the phone?
The main purpose for cached video on your phone is to review video while flying to determine if another take is necessary. "Find my drone" or a Marco Polo type device is used to find a lost drone. Of course, keeping it in sight would be the greatest help in finding it.

As for how important is it? I have it turned off to reduce overhead on my RC and tablet so it is not important to me.

If you lose your drone, it will be the only way to see where it was when the signal was lost.

That was my concern.
Do you clear the phone cache before each flight, or do you think that a buffering cache is not a threat to cause connection problems between phone and RC?

My worry is that it would hamper my ability to find the drone if it went down somewhere. Ids that true? Is that the main value/purpose for the cached video on the phone?
If you lose your drone, it will be the only way to see where it was when the signal was lost.
Your recorded flight data is much more useful than cached video for finding lost drones.

Reactions: Carlos56
Both the video from the flight, and the tablet based catalog stop when the downlink is lost, which is typical with a “flyaway”. It only tells you where the drone was when you lost the downlink, not where the drone ended up.

Reactions: Carlos56 and CareyL
I’ve noticed if my screen goes black and it disconnects if I unplug from the side of the controller and plug it back it it will reconnect.

Both the video from the flight, and the tablet based catalog stop when the downlink is lost, which is typical with a “flyaway”. It only tells you where the drone was when you lost the downlink, not where the drone ended up.

Agreed. But having used PhantomHelp.com to view some of my flight logs, I think that is much more useful than the video for locating a lost drone. It will at least give me the latest GPS location and flight direction. So I will turn off the cached video to save the mobile phone resources and minimize the download bandwidth demand. I have never really used the cached video anyway.

I’ve noticed if my screen goes black and it disconnects if I unplug from the side of the controller and plug it back it it will reconnect.

I'll try that. Thanks. I had closed DJI Fly and restarted it, but the cable unplug and plug back in is a quicker first attempt to reconnect.

Agreed. But having used PhantomHelp.com to view some of my flight logs, I think that is much more useful than the video for locating a lost drone. It will at least give me the latest GPS location and flight direction. So I will turn off the cached video to save the mobile phone resources and minimize the download bandwidth demand. I have never really used the cached video anyway.

Looking at the crash/flyaway forum here it's the flight logs that are crucial for locating a lost drone since people here can work out where the drone is likely to have landed based on the conditions and state of the drone at the time which has led to a remarkable amount of people finding their drones.

Personally for me the cached video is occasionally useful when I want to show someone photos or video where I've just been which I can do straight from the tablet before I've transferred anything off the drone.

Personally for me the cached video is occasionally useful when I want to show someone photos or video where I've just been which I can do straight from the tablet before I've transferred anything off the drone.

Good point. If I get a tablet I may do that too. My small mobile phone screen is not so good for that. Also, someone else pointed out you can use it to review video/photos before leaving a location to see if it is worth re-doing the shot. Both good reasons to consider having the video cache on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka