DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many cycles batteries go 4

Tburon9

Reactions
How many cycle of charge does the battery takes before getting bad or faulty? Any one here know?
I only got one and got 17 cycles ?

Probably a lot more . . . but that's going to depend on how you treat it. Always store at 40 to 60% charge. Don't subject it to high temperatures. Charge at room temperature or reasonably close. If you've just discharged it, let it cool before charging again. Typical generic lithium ion batteries are good for 500 to a couple of thousand cycles. They will lose some capacity during all of that.

Always store at 40 to 60% charge.
What do you mean by "store"? For a long period of time? How long?
For example, after flight I usually charge all batteries and remote, and I don't know when I will fly again, but I will probably fly in several days or week. Is it OK to have 100% charged batteries during that time?
And if I will fly in two weeks?

Reactions: Tburon9
I typically change my batteries up to about 50% after flying and leave them like that until shortly before going flying again. I'd then charge them up to 100% the night before, or in the morning before next flight. Seems to work OK, but does require a bit of planning. At the very worst I still have a good 30-40min of flight time in the 3 half charged batteries, though I do need to land and swap out batteries a couple of times.

How many cycle of charge does the battery takes before getting bad or faulty? Any one here know?
I only got one and got 17 cycles ?
Lipo batteries (Lithium Polymer) are usually good for 150-250 cycles. Mavic batts are smart and will prevent you from doing too much damage, but you can still ruin them. You shouldn't let the voltage go below 3.0v per cell(there are 4 in the M2P series) for a total of 12volts. The temperature usually stays around 30-40 Celsius until you go below 20%(in my experience), then it seems to start going toward 50C. I am not sure if that is bad but heat means formation of lithium oxide on the cathode/anode internally and eventual failure. I have had my batteries at 0% and the voltage didnt drop below 14v for 3-4 minutes than started to drop. The temp was 50 Celsius(122F)
Was your battery new or used. You can see how many times it was charged by tapping on the battery % icon upper right corner and than at the bottom of page I think its advanced setting or something like that. Or is that how you determined the 17 cycles? I am just wondering if you counted the charges yourself or if you looked it up on the drone. If so than the above is redundant.

For example, after flight I usually charge all batteries and remote, and I don't know when I will fly again, but I will probably fly in several days or week. Is it OK to have 100% charged batteries during that time?
Storing at 100% for long periods is bad for the battery. That's why the smart batteries have auto discharge. I fly until 30%, and then store until before I plan to fly again, usually charging the night before.

it's explained in the manual and in many similar threads in this forum.

Lipo batteries (Lithium Polymer) are usually good for 150-250 cycles. Mavic batts are smart and will prevent you from doing too much damage, but you can still ruin them. You shouldn't let the voltage go below 3.0v per cell(there are 4 in the M2P series) for a total of 12volts. The temperature usually stays around 30-40 Celsius until you go below 20%(in my experience), then it seems to start going toward 50C. I am not sure if that is bad but heat means formation of lithium oxide on the cathode/anode internally and eventual failure. I have had my batteries at 0% and the voltage didnt drop below 14v for 3-4 minutes than started to drop. The temp was 50 Celsius(122F)
Was your battery new or used. You can see how many times it was charged by tapping on the battery % icon upper right corner and than at the bottom of page I think its advanced setting or something like that. Or is that how you determined the 17 cycles? I am just wondering if you counted the charges yourself or if you looked it up on the drone. If so than the above is redundant.

Thank you real good information
I’m new pilot and careful .!
What % # of battery of your aircraft you bring it in near ( like me; once I get to 30% on my battery, I bring it near on latitude.
But then I found out I got plenty of battery to hover around.
Once I get below 20% turn red it’s that the ideal usage of the battery?
Bring it down to 20 red cool off and charge up! 50/60% .
Thanks

Thank you real good information
I’m new pilot and careful .!
What % # of battery of your aircraft you bring it in near ( like me; once I get to 30% on my battery, I bring it near on latitude.
But then I found out I got plenty of battery to hover around.
Once I get below 20% turn red it’s that the ideal usage of the battery?
Bring it down to 20 red cool off and charge up! 50/60% .
Thanks
Absolutely have it close to home when under 30%. I have had some close calls out over the ocean when I was at under 10% and still 10,000 feet away and I was sweating it out. The wind was in the sails and it was at 0% when I landed.

Remember that the Mavic mini batteries are lithium ion, whereas all the other mavics use lithium polymer. Better power density, but suffer from aging quicker compared to LiPo. Also, the Mavic Mini batteries do not auto discharge if stored for a while. Other mavic batteries do auto discharge to storage charge level. The general advice for Li-Ion batteries is to not fully discharge (typically just go down to 15% or so if possible) and store at approx 40% charge.

There's probably lots of partially conflicting advice and theories on how best to take care of your batteries, but most are along the lines of not completely discharging down to 0% and storing at a partial charge.

Last edited:
If you have a Mavic 2, the Hanatora battery charger makes life convenient as, besides charging up to 4 batteries at the same time, it has additional modes to charge or discharge batteries to take them to about 50% for storage. There's a digital readout to let you know what's going on:

Amazon.com: Hanatora Battery Home Charger & Car Charger for DJI Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro and Remote Controller,5 in 1 Rapid Charging Hub with Charging, Discharging and Storage: Toys & Games

Not sure if there are models for other DJI drones.

Reactions: E90RAW
Remember that the Mavic mini batteries are lithium ion, whereas all the other mavics use lithium polymer. Better power density, but suffer from aging quicker compared to LiPo. Also, the Mavic Mini batteries do not auto discharge if stored for a while. Other mavic batteries do auto discharge to storage charge level. The general advice for Li-Ion batteries is to not fully discharge (typically just go down to 15% or so if possible) and store at approx 40% charge.

There's probably lots of partially conflicting advice and theories on how best to take care of your batteries, but most are along the lines of not completely discharging down to 0% and storing at a partial charge.
That depends which battery you get:
This is off the DJI site for the mini.
Intelligent Flight Battery (1100 mAh)
  • Capacity
  • 1100 mAh
  • Voltage
  • 7.6 V
  • Max Charging Voltage
  • 8.7 V
  • Battery Type
  • LiPo 2S
  • Energy
  • 8.36 Wh
  • Net Weight
  • 50 g
  • Charging Temperature Range
  • 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)
  • Max Charging Power
  • 18 W

That depends which battery you get:
This is off the DJI site for the mini.
Intelligent Flight Battery (1100 mAh)
  • Capacity
  • 1100 mAh
  • Voltage
  • 7.6 V
  • Max Charging Voltage
  • 8.7 V
  • Battery Type
  • LiPo 2S
  • Energy
  • 8.36 Wh
  • Net Weight
  • 50 g
  • Charging Temperature Range
  • 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)
  • Max Charging Power
  • 18 W
For some reason, that seems to be a different battery. The Mini uses 18650 cells, which are definitely not li-po, and the 1100 mAh is not right. If you look at the listing for the Mini battery, it says:

Model: MB2-2400mAh-7.2V
Rated Capacity: 2400 mAh
Battery Type: Li-ion 2S
Rated Voltage: 7.2 V
Limited Charge Voltage: 8.4 V
Max Charging Power: 24 W
Charging Temperature: 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)

Reactions: E90RAW
For some reason, that seems to be a different battery. The Mini uses 18650 cells, which are definitely not li-po, and the 1100 mAh is not right. If you look at the listing for the Mini battery, it says:

Model: MB2-2400mAh-7.2V
Rated Capacity: 2400 mAh
Battery Type: Li-ion 2S
Rated Voltage: 7.2 V
Limited Charge Voltage: 8.4 V
Max Charging Power: 24 W
Charging Temperature: 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)
That battery is the Japanese version

Reactions: E90RAW and scro
@E90RAW True, thanks for pointing out that for the Japanese audience on these forums. I expect they're a very small minority though. It would have been more helpful if you'd made it clear that all other models come with li-ion batteries.

@E90RAW True, thanks for pointing out that for the Japanese audience on these forums. I expect they're a very small minority though. It would have been more helpful if you'd made it clear that all other models come with li-ion batteries.
Note sure if that's directed my way, but if so sorry!! I just took the info off DJIs site. They dont specify what country.

Reactions: scro

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada