DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many times do you have to calibrate the compass?

I frequently travel distance of greater than 50 miles for family visits, always receive need for compass calibration when visiting. Calibration remains stable while at new location. It has just become a step in my preflight. Also learned that calibration with hand wearing my smart watch is problematic. I just switch to my other hand and do the calibration dance, and off we go. Enjoy your flying
"The Calibration Dance".... ha... I get the weirdest looks from people when I do that.

I have had my Mavic just over 12 months, almost 500 flights. I have never been asked for a calibration!
Last June I traveled to Greece and Germany, flew there and also Austria and Czec Republic. Never a problem there or on return.
TBH I had intended to do a calibration but forgot. :)

N
Am I the only one who has to calibrate compass almost every 3rd flight? I have been noticing compass calibration is a very frequent activity on MA as compared to Spark. I was in Yakima county over the weekend and lost count how many times I did the calibration :/
Interesting all these reports on the compas calibration I thought DJI had fixed it, the first batches of Mavics had aa real problem and you couldnt even calibrate it, the only fix was end it away; just one thing the Mavic actually has 2 compases you can check on them in the main controller screen/advanced settings / sensors/ then choose the compass tab at the top

Attachments

• 1246D789-145D-48EC-9CB6-2395773CE430.png
    1246D789-145D-48EC-9CB6-2395773CE430.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 1753C347-7952-4214-A67C-1C0D7E871931.png
    1753C347-7952-4214-A67C-1C0D7E871931.png
    490.3 KB · Views: 55
  • C6467682-9758-4C05-8D0C-802B521D763E.png
    C6467682-9758-4C05-8D0C-802B521D763E.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 55
Am I the only one who has to calibrate compass almost every 3rd flight? I have been noticing compass calibration is a very frequent activity on MA as compared to Spark. I was in Yakima county over the weekend and lost count how many times I did the calibration :/
Don't know about the Air , but I haven't calibrated my Pro once in over a year.
Tried once kept failing so I left it. Sensors well in the green and my baby behaving

I tend to have to calibrate the compass the same as yourself every 3rd time but I fly all over Scotland and in the mounains

***UPDATE*** re below.. I just spoke to the DJI seller (HELIGUY - UK) and he says it sounds like the quad has a hardware issue and it's to be booked in for repair under warranty. That's a relief! I'll leave the original post below for anyone to read who might be interested in my experience with a repair being the result.

My Air had connection issues when brand new. The agent had it sent back to the service shop, ten days later it's back and zero connection issues...
Meantime I have also 2 Phantom 4s and a MavPro so my flying's divided between those - the Air's been used a bit less since expanding the squadron. Restarted using it only to find I'm getting the menu defaulting to Calibrate. This always fails. After a failure it reverts to the main Go screen with a Cannot Fly red flag showing. Sometimes this red flag then disappears to show green with GPS showing on it, at which point I've taken that that whatever was wrong has settled out and is now okay - on the two occasions this has happened it's behaved fine in the air with no odd behaviour at all.
But that menu still shows with a Calibrate box showing on the Compass setting. With results as above. I have installed both updates as they showed available, just refreshed it via Assistant 2. So far I have not tried going back to factory settings as allowed in the Assistant 2 programme.
Since neither of my Phantoms does this and my Mavic Pro (original) behaves just fine with an occasional calibrate request that always succeeds, I'm pretty confident I'm not making some bonehead error.
Which leads me to believe my Air has some innate fault in its coding. I had hoped that the latest 500 firmware release would fix this but it's installed and has made not a bit of difference.

Last edited:
I have a warning about obstacle avoidance sensors needing calibration but haven't been able to get that working in assistant. It worked once when I first got it but never since. I've tried every suggestion I could find in forums. And there have been no changes to the computer I first calibrated it on.

My Maverick Pro ask for calibrating the compass while in Flight it tells me to either move it like if it were on the ground but it isn't why does this come up if I'm flying when I moving I never see it only one I stopped and then I can go back to Flying and usually goes away very worried but when I hover I get this very confused applying a lot of drones never had this issue with any of my other DJI

All those honestly I'm new to this not sure but that's where that was supposed to go but I'm having that issue of my DJI Maverick Pro asking for compass calibration while in flight very worried about this never had this issue with any other drones goes away when I moving long as I'm flying I don't usually get it does anybody have a clue

I never have to calibrate my air when in flight. I have to calibrate prior to flight roughly every three flights or so. But there again I tend to vary location regularly, rarely flying in the same place twice in a row.

None of my dji drones ever prompted for a compass calibration. I went a year with my MP and only calibrated once when I first purchased. However my MA is constantly prompting and while in Mexico I had to calibrate before every flight and several times had to change location in order to do this as the calibration would fail.

My first MA requested compass calibration nearly every flight. I have a smartwatch and used to remove it before flight. Didn't reduce the problem much, if at all.
Didn't seem to matter how far I had travelled between flights. Even returning to change battery and taking off again from the same spot would usually require a calibration.
Had a fly-away event last August ( there is a thread on that) and DJI replaced the MA as their investigation concluded no pilot error / equipment malfunction.

Never been asked once for a compass calibration with the replacement drone.

I have to conclude there is a problem with the unit if it keeps demanding calibrations.

getting confused here about revised mavic air compass troubles: has factory made hard soft changes from the 2018 to 2019 mavic air?

or there has been no hard soft change to 2018 mavic air so 2019 mavic air is identical?

My first MA requested compass calibration nearly every flight. I have a smartwatch and used to remove it before flight. Didn't reduce the problem much, if at all.
Didn't seem to matter how far I had travelled between flights. Even returning to change battery and taking off again from the same spot would usually require a calibration.
Had a fly-away event last August ( there is a thread on that) and DJI replaced the MA as their investigation concluded no pilot error / equipment malfunction.

Never been asked once for a compass calibration with the replacement drone.

I have to conclude there is a problem with the unit if it keeps demanding calibrations.
I cal 3times because I'm on concrete parking structure embedded with powerlines, rebars, ibeams, and wifi too. I still fail and djigo4 shakes its head "lockdown! No fly"
Yet props start, journey leashed at 400ft elevate and 1500meter radius, and all works, includes manual rth.
But whats important is none cal for none bad infrastruct said, when i launch from soil none infrastruct.
That affirms hdwr software working proper, right? Ive yet been cal nagged from ANY none infrastruct soil

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42