DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to cache maps

AMRE2ME2

Reactions
I’ve tried numerous times to cache maps because I usually fly in remote areas without cell service. I’m using an iPad mini 4 with no cellular.
Is it true that after you cache a map that you can’t turn off your iPad or you’ll loose your cached map? It is not possible for me to leave my iPad on after caching maps until I fly. It might be several days until I fly.

Reactions: rodolpholemos
If you just need "Find my Drone" maps, the following may work:
Zoom to the area you want to cache in Google Maps.
Search for "OK maps". I guess this is a special search that tells Google Maps to cache the area.

Depending on the DJI software you're using you may be able to use google maps instead of the DJI app maps.

Just don’t close the DJI app.
I usually fly in areas with no cell or WiFi service.
Cache the map in detail by zooming in to the area and scrolling around until each section loads. Then do not force close DJI. You can turn off the iPad and charge as needed.
The map and satellite view will be there if you let them load when you had service.
I routinely use the cached satellite view to fly at night on Isolated private ranch property with Firehouse Technologies strobes for visual situational awareness.
Using the cached satellite view is awesome at night, like flying during daytime.

I’ve tried numerous times to cache maps because I usually fly in remote areas without cell service. I’m using an iPad mini 4 with no cellular.
Is it true that after you cache a map that you can’t turn off your iPad or you’ll loose your cached map? It is not possible for me to leave my iPad on after caching maps until I fly. It might be several days until I fly.
You are correct. If you cache an area of map in your flight app, it will remain cached until you shut down the app, at which point all of the cached data will be lost. Shutting the device off would have the same outcome. Are you able to hotspot your phone to gain internet access with the iPad onsite. That's what I do before I turn the copter on, and once the map is loaded, I disconnect from the hotspot.

Hot spotting isn’t possible but good idea otherwise.
I have several other Apps that save maps to use offline. Wouldn’t this be an easy fix for dji to do?

Reactions: CareyL
I wonder if it'd be possible to copy the cache file the app creates? You might be able to open the app at a later date and copy the cache files over.

Can you test this process by downloading the maps then shut the tablet down after turning on aircraft mode (wifi) off and mobile data off?

Just looking for practiclecwaybto simulate the situation.

Go into google maps, make sure you are viewing satellite mode< select top left bars to bring down menu. Select “offline maps”, select large area(s) around where you are intending to fly and save them. You can select as many different areas as you want naming each.
The saved maps ready for “offline use” are valid for 12 months but you can refresh when you want to.

When out flying no signal is required on your device as google maps provides the satellite images directly to your app and its as if you are viewing “live google images”. I often go where no signal using a wifi only iPad mini 5 and it works really well.

Good luck

Go into google maps, make sure you are viewing satellite mode< select top left bars to bring down menu. Select “offline maps”, select large area(s) around where you are intending to fly and save them. You can select as many different areas as you want naming each.
The saved maps ready for “offline use” are valid for 12 months but you can refresh when you want to.

When out flying no signal is required on your device as google maps provides the satellite images directly to your app and its as if you are viewing “live google images”. I often go where no signal using a wifi only iPad mini 5 and it works really well.

Good luck
Thank you. I will go practice that. It works on the pro version as well, i suppose.

Good luck
This is the first idea that sounds like it will work. I will try this out this weekend and report back. Thank you for this information!

Just tried downloading Google maps offline feature. Unfortunately, when I go offline, then load one of those saved maps, it is very low resolution and useless. Some areas are high resolution but most of the map is low. I tried this on two different iPads, iPad mini 4 and an iPhone X. All of them are low resolution on the saved map and thus make them useless. Any ideas?

Good luck
Unfortunately this does not work either. I cached maps on google maps for an area I was at this past weekend. No internet at the location. Opened the cached maps on google maps and they were there and looked correct. I left that app open in the background. Opened up the Fly app and went flying but the cached map did not show up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe