DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to calibrate compass without a smartphone/tablet

Bdronning

Reactions
Today I learned something new

All I wanted to do was fly my MA1 in smart capture mode using gestures (without the remote or a smart phone). Have done it in the past and this feature is one of the things I really like about the MA1. Problem though; I hadn't flown the drone for several months and the compass needed calibration. Additional problem; I don't have a smart phone or a tablet at the moment. So what was I to do? At first I thought it was impossible to calibrate the compass without initiating the process from the GO4 app. But I am not the kind of guy who gives up and I turned to the internet. A few hours spent searching and I stumbled upon what could be a potential solution in this old help video for the Phantom 4.
Video is from 2016 and is for an entirely different model but hey, what have I got to lose by trying, I told myself. And so I tried it. And what do you know, it worked. I was able to initiate the compass calibration process by toggling the flight mode switch back and forth in quick succession for several times. I did not count, could have been 10 times or less but I was able to tell I was able to initiate the calibration process when the AC status light changed from an alternating red-green to a solid yellow. From there, I went through the calibration process rotating the AC on its axis horizontally and vertically. And I was able to fly the AC in smart capture mode as I wanted. I know I tried this on the MA1 but I see no reason as to why this shouldn't work on other models. So if you ever find yourself in a tight spot like mine one day, add this to your list of way outs.

Cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji